Commentary update

I spent a considerable part of today working on my Profondo Rosso commentary, and I’m happy to report that just under 33 minutes of material are laid down. It’s slow going, mainly because I want it to be as smooth and seamless as possible, so I’m going back over as many moments as possible that seem stilted or unnatural and re-recording them. This of course plays havoc with the synchronisation, given that, if the length of an early portion changes even very slightly, it’ll throw the remainder of the track out of sync.

I’m terribly afraid that I’m going to dry up at some point half-way through the track - I am, after all, recording for a 126-minute film (Suspiria, at only 98 minutes, was tough enough), so I’m going to have to dig out as many essays and articles as possible for inspiration. So far, I’ve rubbished Marcia Landy’s book Italian Film (according to her, the murder of the Jewish Helga is intended to make us draw comparisons between this and the Holocaust), slandered Strip Nude For Your Killer and spoken at length about the role of the supernatural in the film. Right now I’m just getting into the juicy stuff, namely women’s rights and arm-wrestling contests. Wish me luck!

Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2006 at 10:54 PM | Comments: 5
Categories: Cinema | DVD | Dario Argento | General | Gialli

Comments

Yawn

Posted by: , November 17, 2006 11:37 AM

All right, little man, you’ve had your fun, so consider yourself banned for your grimes. I think we’re Even Stephens now, eh?

Posted by: Whiggles, November 17, 2006 11:53 AM

"Deep Red" is probably my favorite giallo film of all time. Looking forward to the finished product.

No 'yawns' from this end!

Posted by: Phantom, November 18, 2006 12:42 AM

Censorship! Censorship on the HMS Whimsy! Oh, unhappy day! Whatever happened to freedom of speech! Woe! Woe! Woe!

Posted by: Baron Scarpia, November 18, 2006 10:03 AM

Well, I am the captain of the ship, after all. All who disobey must walk the plank.

On the plus side, “Nick” is now free to go back to his 80s bootlegs and pre-cert videos, which give him the warm fuzzy feeling of being an all-round expert on gialli. Strangely enough, though, he visits this site several times every day, despite his yawns. Indeed, before he stopped using his real name, he posted here on a number of occasions and was much more civil. He even sent me an email last year to tell me how much he liked both the site and my Suspiria commentary.

Posted by: Whiggles, November 18, 2006 12:00 PM

Comments on this entry and all entries up to and including June 31st 2009 have been closed. The discussion continues on the new Land of Whimsy blog: