It’s a mad, mad world

DVD DVD

I’m probably going to regret this when my credit card bill arrives, but what can I say? It’s one of my all-time favourite films, if not my absolute favourite, and I’m determined to get the best possible presentation possible, so I’ve ordered both the newly-released Italian 2-disc “Definitive Edition” tin box set of Suspiria from IBS, and the upcoming French 3-disc Collector’s Edition from Amazon.fr.

The situation, as far as I can determine, from various web sites and forums, is this:

The Italian release includes an English 1.0 mono track - not ideal, but, if it is derived from the mono recording that did the rounds back in 1977 at cinemas not equipped to play the film’s quadrophonic mix, then it will still be preferable to the monstrosity present on the Anchor Bay DVD. Also included are Italian 1.0, 5.1 and 5.1 EX mixes, although this surprises me somewhat as the 5.1 EX track presumably renders the 5.1 track irrelevant. English and Italian subtitles are included, as well as the following extras: two Dario Argento interviews, theatrical trailer, TV and radio spots, gallery.

The French release includes no English audio options, and French subtitles are forced when any of the Italian audio options are enabled. These booby traps will not, however, thwart the HMS Whimsy’s skilled navigators. The offered audio options, as per Wild Side’s page on the release, are French mono and Italian mono, stereo and 5.1. The extensive array of extras is described in my previous post.

So there you have it. The Italian tin should be arriving within the next week or so, and, if nothing else, it will look very nice on my shelf next to my French Danny the Dog tin, which features a similar design. I must say I’m really stoked to see this new HD-sourced transfer in action. In an ideal world, I’d be sitting down to watch it in full 1080p on HD DVD, but that doesn’t appear to be on the cards just yet, so, in the meantime, I’m going to have to settle for plain old standard definition.

Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2007 at 9:44 PM | Comments: 9
Categories: Cinema | DVD | Dario Argento | HD DVD | Technology

Comments

It's Halloween time and new and old horror movies come to shops.

I have the previous italian 2-disc digipack Suspiria that should be identical in contents and transfer to this new tin box set, maybe except for the postcards, but I am tempted by the tin box since it's really nice'n'elegant (I just purchased Raimi's Evil Dead, same tin box edition - wonderful package but horrible transfer, in that case)

Posted by: MCP, October 18, 2007 11:55 PM

wow, I didn't know that the Weinstein Company has the US rights! hope they release it soon. Aside from the audio issue, I'm sure I'll take the HD presentation over any SD regardless of source (whether the same as AB or Euro releases)

Posted by: aw, October 19, 2007 12:52 AM

MCP:

“I have the previous italian 2-disc digipack Suspiria that should be identical in contents and transfer to this new tin box set”

Not so - the new tin box set is a brand new transfer created from a new high definition restoration supervised by Luciano Tovoli.

AW:

The Weinsteins picked it up to be the flagship title for their new Dimension Extreme label, but unfortunately they’ve gone silent about it since their original announcement, which you can read here.

Posted by: Whiggles, October 19, 2007 9:27 AM

You had a comparison b/t the AB R1 and an R2 release. I recall that it was transfered to Lyris' site but I can't seem to find it. Can you direct me? And your audio commentary for the film was great; only I didn't finish it. I'm having trouble finding it now (both your blogs have gone thru so many changes in the past year)

Posted by: aw, October 20, 2007 2:48 AM

All my comparisons are still on this site. You can find the Suspiria one here. It was only the DVD Hall of Fame gallery that was redirected to Lyris’ site.

As for my commentary, you can find it (and the one for Deep Red) here.

Posted by: Whiggles, October 20, 2007 7:36 AM

How many editions of SUSPIRIA do you now own? I look forward to the full lowdown and image comparisons in the near future. Also I adore INFERNO and if you give the new disc a substancial thumbs up, perhaps I'll double dip and pick up the Italian release. I currently have the US double pack version with PHENOMENA.

BY the way when does THE THIRD MOTHER come out in cinemas?

CF

Posted by: Count Fosco, October 20, 2007 7:43 PM

I currently have two copies - the Anchor Bay 3-disc limited edition and the old single-disc Italian release by Eagle Pictures. I used to own the 2-disc Italian special edition, but I sold it on because its picture quality was actually a downgrade from the single-disc release (they turned up the detail reduction filter, the fools), and all of the extras were ported from the Anchor Bay release.

The Third Mother is released throughout Italy on Halloween, although I believe the premiere is much sooner than that. As for the rest of the world, who knows (if at all)?

Posted by: Whiggles, October 20, 2007 7:59 PM

The official premiere should be on October 23, during Rome Film Festival. It will be a special theme night, with Suspiria/Inferno projection followed by Third Mother at midnight. Yesterday Dario and Asia Argento were guests at one of the most influential talk shows in Italian tv. For sure the Mother gathered more media attention than previous Argento's movies, at least in the last ten years or so.

Posted by: MCP, October 21, 2007 2:02 PM

Ok Michael, you are now officially responsible for my first purchase of a movie I already own ;-)

Just joking, I found it at too inviting a price (just 9.90) and I could not resist. About the transfer, it's not easy to judge: it's indeed from a new HD master (it is stated in the credits, too) but I am reading mixed reactions about it - and I gave it only a very quick look.

Posted by: MCP, October 22, 2007 6:53 PM

Comments on this entry and all entries up to and including June 31st 2009 have been closed. The discussion continues on the new Land of Whimsy blog: