How Blu are you?

HD DVD/Blu-ray/DVD

Concluding my Blu-ray Trilogy of Terror™ for today, I thought I’d take a look at upcoming releases that have been announced for the format and put together a list of titles I intend to pick up:

Out now:
- Enchanted (Buena Vista)

March 25th, 2008
- Bonnie and Clyde (Warner) (ORDERED)

April 8th, 2008
- The Adventures of Baron Munchausen (Sony Pictures)

April 14th, 2008
- A Tale of Two Sisters (Tartan)

April 15th, 2008
- Juno (Fox) (REVIEW COPY REQUESTED)

April 22nd, 2008
- The Orphanage (New Line)

April 29th, 2008
- The Golden Compass (New Line)

May 26th, 2008
- Lady Vengeance (Tartan)

July 1st, 2008
- Gangs of New York (Buena Vista)

October 7th, 2008
- Sleeping Beauty (Buena Vista)

Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2008 at 10:26 PM | Comments: 9
Categories: Animation | Blu-ray | Cinema

Comments

Sony Blu-Rays are usually considered inferior. It seems like they already preparing for super-duper-bit BD re-releases. I suggest you don't get your expectations too high for Munchausen.

Posted by: Peter von Frosta, March 25, 2008 10:52 PM

Who are they considered inferior to, and by whom? In my opinion Sony have, of late, put out the most consistently high standard in terms of HD releases. For their catalogue titles, they’re certainly streets ahead of Universal and Paramount.

Posted by: Whiggles, March 25, 2008 11:05 PM

What percentage of releases by Sony are region ABC?

Posted by: avanze, March 26, 2008 2:29 AM

What percentage of releases by Sony are region ABC?

Posted by: Whiggles, March 26, 2008 7:02 AM

"They" are many review sites, at least here in germany. Compared to Disnay aka Buena Vista and *gosh* Fox, they seem to be indeed inferior. I don't have any myself - I'm sort of a post-mortem HD-DVD adaptor - but what I've seen at my friend's house seems to acknowledge that fact.
The worst example is of coourse the first release of 5th Element, but also newer releases miss the last punch.
Discs I consider myself "not that good" include Underworld, Underworld: Evolution, Life of Brian, Starship Troopers, RoboCop. Most of them can be considered mayor titles and at least I would expect first class picture quality. Now imagine a B title like Munchausen (not that I want to say it's a bad movie)...

Posted by: Peter von Frosta, March 26, 2008 7:11 AM

I must confess I haven’t seen the Sony releases of Underworld and Underworld: Evolution - I have, however, seen the excellent German release of Underworld from Concorde, and screen captures posted at AVS comparing it with the Sony release show little difference. Underworld: Evolution, like the first release of The Fifth Element, was one of the first titles they released, so I could believe that it was sub-par.

Sony have yet to release Starship Troopers on Blu-ray. It was, however, released in the UK… by Buena Vista.

Sony didn’t release RoboCop either. They were to distribute an early version from MGM, which in the end was never released (perhaps because of highly negative early reviews), while the second version, which by all account was not much better, was distributed by Fox.

Life of Brian I will concede. They really mangled that one with noise reduction.

Sony catalogue titles that I own as Almost Famous, Arlington Road, Unleashed, The Fifth Element (remastered), Layer Cake, Volver and Run Lola Run. All of these at least look decent, and some of them look very good indeed.

Posted by: Whiggles, March 26, 2008 7:22 AM

Those distribution rights always get me confused.
Maybe I just had bad luck with Sony until now.

Posted by: Peter von Frosta, March 26, 2008 10:36 AM

"Most of them, particularly if they are catalogue titles. Have a look at this site to check the region status of any title."

Great link. It seems not all Sony releases are region ABC, but a good number of them are free. I had a fear Sony would be strictly enforcing the region coding.

Posted by: avanze, March 26, 2008 2:34 PM

Sony used to use regioncoding for new titles only, and leave catalogue titles all-region.

I think I'll buy an US-player when the time comes. HK and JP have region A too, so I think that region will cover most of my interests.

Posted by: Peter von Frosta, March 27, 2008 9:16 AM

Comments on this entry and all entries up to and including June 31st 2009 have been closed. The discussion continues on the new Land of Whimsy blog: