Just arrived…

DVD

Lewis: Series Three (DVD, ITV, Region 2, UK)

There’s a bit of a story behind this, actually. A few weeks back, on the day that this series was due to begin airing, I discovered that ITV’s Scottish counterpart, STV, had opted not to pick up the show, instead opting to air a documentary about the Highlands. In addition, the network stated an intention to “pull out of the national ITV1 schedule more frequently to offer a service more relevant to Scottish viewers”.

Well, bollocks to that. Lewis is just about the only respectable programme ITV airs, and for STV to ditch it in favour of some tawdry documentary and yet another rerun of Gregory’s Girl (which was a shit film back in 1981 and is just as shit in 2009) is simply the height of idiocy. All that actions like these achieve is to ensure that, instead of tuning into the channel perhaps four times a year, I won’t tune in at all, and will instead just pick up the DVDs, which in this case were released just days after the final episode aired.

Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 at 10:07 PM | Comments: 5
Categories: Cinema | DVD | TV

Comments

I don't live in the UK myself... but isn't it possible to receive the English ITV version in Scotland? Via satellite?

Posted by: BobaFett, April 15, 2009 1:06 AM

Possibly, but I don’t have a satellite dish. As far as I could tell, Virgin Media, my digital cable provider, only offer the regional variants of the BBC’s channels, not ITV.

Posted by: Michael Mackenzie, April 15, 2009 7:02 AM

At least you get Scottish news broadcasts.

Here in the Scottish Borders they decided to merge the Carlisle based news "local news station" with Newcastle. We hardly got that much local news before so you can imagine how much worse it now is. All to save a bit of money.

Now we are all digital i can pick up any ITV station in the UK but really i prefer watching the zone horror channel.

Can i rant about how bad the quality of digital broadcasts are ?

Everything is smoothed over and the sound which used to be glorious NICAM which was 728kb/s is now Digital at something like 96kb/s or 128kb/s or something like that. So they may have tried to brainwash everyone that digital is better but if the bitrate is too low then it clearly isn't better and i'm not a fan. Maybe one day i'll try freesat HD and see if it's better but i have a feeling it'll be HD smoothavision.

Oh on the subject of internet providers. I used to be with Virgin broadband. Terrible service with restrictions during peaktime in place which meant your service was very slow.

I replaced that with Zen Internet. Fast, fast and very fast and reliable as well. I guess you are with Virgin cable which is probably much more reliable than their broadband service unfortunately in the small towns within the Border region cable is just not an option.

Posted by: FoxyMulder, April 16, 2009 11:38 PM

Does Virgin Media not have ITV London via the Audio Description ITV channel - channel number 853 I think?

Posted by: McDade, April 18, 2009 3:28 PM

>> Can i rant about how bad the quality of digital broadcasts are ?

Yes, please do. I don't know how we are supposed to take TV seriously. I don't. Some of the channels going out right now (in terms of video) are SUB-standard definition resolution. And the ones that actually are 720x576 are lowpass filtered to buggery so might as well be less. Or you can watch BBC channels which seem to be less filtered than the rest but have the most bizarre compression artefacts this side of a Hong Kong VCD.

Posted by: David Mackenzie, April 18, 2009 5:09 PM

Comments on this entry and all entries up to and including June 31st 2009 have been closed. The discussion continues on the new Land of Whimsy blog: