Behind the velvet curtain

Web

Shh! Here’s a sneak preview of the next iteration of this web site. Bear in mind that this is very much a work in progress. In other words, the whole thing could have changed by the time it goes live. Conversely, it could stay much the same as looks here. I’m pretty happy with how it looks at this moment in time, but, when it comes to things I’ve designed or written, I’m notorious for changing my mind at the drop of a hat and suddenly finding myself hating what I was previously satisfied with.

Any feedback is more than welcome.

Version 2 sneak peek

(Click the image above to view it full size.)

By the way, today’s little doozy, which took a good couple of hours to troubleshoot, was what is known as the 1px background image shift. Basically, it affects sites that use a centred background image in conjunction with a fixed width. Because browser’s can’t calculate half pixels, elements will shift around on the page ever so slightly depending on whether your browser’s window has an odd or even pixel width. This causes things to look a little wonky… at least in Firefox and Safari; Internet Explorer 8, surprisingly, didn’t have any problems displaying it properly. The problem is fairly widespread - not even the President of the United States is immune (try resizing your browser window on the fly and watch the left hand side of the “Organizing for Health Care” banner).

Luckily, there is a partial solution (scroll down to reply #3):

To prevent this 1 pixel shift in Firefox I added margin-left: -.1px to the content div (thats a negative 0.1 px). This fixed the shift in Firefox 2 and 3 while still working for IE7. Of course this is not ideal, but it works.

This did not fix the problem for Internet Explorer 6 (IE6). I minimized it by color choice in my centered background image.

I implemented it, and it does indeed fix the problem in Firefox. The issue still persists in Safari, but let’s face it, the only people browsing in Safari are Mac users and PC users who wish they were Mac users… Just kidding, guys. Seriously, I’d like to make the site as compatible as possible with all browsers, so if anyone has any suggestions, I’m all ears.

Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 at 10:43 PM | Comments: 6
Categories: Technology | Web

Comments

Looks different but I wouldn't say it's better. The Mac background is temporary?

Posted by: Kram Sacul, May 19, 2009 11:40 PM

I love it. It has quite a modern and understated look to it, and the colour scheme is just brilliant. Even if you decide to scrap it all, please try and keep a similar kind of colour scheme rather than going for over the top colours.

Oh and I love the fact that you have 2 versions of Cyberlink PowerDVD on your PC.

Posted by: Garbled, May 20, 2009 1:09 AM

Thanks for the comments.

Kram:

Actually, that’s not a Mac background and no, unless I change my mind completely, it’s not temporary. It is admittedly somewhat inspired by the “sky” wallpaper in OS X (Leopard, I think), but I created it myself in Photoshop using the radial blur tool.

As for whether or not it looks better than the current design, the main improvements from where I’m standing are reducing the amount of space taken up by the header and using a more neutral colour scheme to make the site a little easier on the eyes.

Garbled:

Yeah, I’m really pleased with the colour scheme. I actually ended up with it somewhat by accident, in that I just played around with the background’s colour balance in Photoshop, then pulled most of the colours for the rest of the site from what I ended up with using the eyedropper.

By the way, the reason I have two versions of PowerDVD is that only PowerDVD 9 properly supports 24p playback, whereas I keep PowerDVD 8 around for HD DVD playback.

Posted by: Michael Mackenzie, May 20, 2009 7:43 AM

Thumbs up from the south-east!

Posted by: Baron Scarpia, May 20, 2009 9:03 PM

That's a nice new look. How about capitalising "Tuesday" and "May" in the dates of the posts? Perhaps the heading "Recent news" too! I know it's a question of style, but I'm sure I can't be the only person who finds it irritating. Apart from that, thumbs up!

Posted by: Ian, May 21, 2009 4:45 PM

Ian:

I may very well do that. I quite like the idea of lowercase headers, which to the best of my knowledge I haven’t tried before, but I’m aware that they’re something of an acquired taste.

Posted by: Michael Mackenzie, May 21, 2009 7:53 PM

Comments on this entry and all entries up to and including June 31st 2009 have been closed. The discussion continues on the new Land of Whimsy blog: