Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 6, Episode 20: Villains
Written by Marti Noxon; Directed by David Solomon
I only ever watched the last three episodes of the season once (I wonder why), so my memory of them was pretty poor. A few random comments because I don’t really feel like saying anything constructive:
- Dark Willow is actually pretty damn creepy: the eyes, the black hair, etc. I know Alyson Hannigan actually has black hair in real life now, but it’s got nothing on this.
- The misleads, to make people think Spike is trying to get the chip out of his head rather than regain his soul, are ham-fisted. I’m sorry, but this is the sort of “Forget what you heard/saw, it was all designed to mislead you” crap they pulled with the lame “Is Giles the First?” puzzle in Season 7.
- Dawn, who discovers Tara’s body and is the only character to actually show any genuine remorse after her death, is the only genuinely sympathetic character in this episode. Jeez, I never thought I’d be saying that.
- Xander actually utters the epithet “Christ!” in this episode. I thought that was verboten on US network TV.
- Even when he’s being flayed alive, Warren is still annoying.
Overall rating: 4/10.
Next time: Two to Go.