Yes, I will do another commentary

Profondo Rosso

I’m going to record another audio commentary. I’m posting this now because I figure I’ve been stalling for far too long, and that if I’ve actually said I’m going to do it, then there is at least some chance that enough people will bug me about it to make sure I actually get it done. Then again, it didn’t do much good the last few times I said I was going to do this…

Anyway, I’ve decided this time that I’m going to do Dario Argento’s Profondo Rosso (Deep Red to all you Neanderthals out there!), for a few reasons. First of all, I wrote an essay on it earlier this year, so I have some existing material to work with. Second of all, I want to cover myself because I’m not sure I’ll have enough material to talk through an entire film, so I’ve decided to go with a title that I feel is iconic enough that, if need be, I can turn it into a discussion of the giallo genre as a whole. Profondo Rosso is regarded by many as the ultimate giallo, and it’s also one of the few titles that pretty much anyone with an interest in the genre will own, so I figure it’s a safer bet than going with something pretty obscure like Death Laid an Egg or The Black Belly of the Tarantula.

I’d really like to make this one a little more freeform than before. I was listening to my Suspiria commentary (available here) recently, as well as the provisional material I recorded on Tenebre and A Lizard in a Woman’s Skin, and I found them far too stilted for my liking. It’s obvious that I’m simply reading from a script, so my intention this time will be to have a selection of topics to cover, an attempt to basically pull a discussion out of my ass on the spot. How successful this will be remains to be seen - I’m not exactly a confident speaker, and my ability to improvise and come up with wacky anecdotes on the spot is not exactly great - but, having listened to a whole bunch of audio commentaries, including those by both filmmakers and critics, I’ve come to the conclusion that the non-scripted ones are the easiest to listen to.

Wish me luck! (And hope that I actually finish this one.)

Posted: Sunday, November 12, 2006 at 6:10 PM | Comments: 7
Categories: Cinema | DVD | Dario Argento | General | Gialli

Comments

Great news and good luck. I for one, as Mary Whitehouse might say, am looking forward to it.

Posted by: Tom, November 12, 2006 7:08 PM

OH NO!!Another boring commentry from somebody who thinks because he has a blog is an expert on the genre,stick to Buffy and leave the commentries to Tim Lucas.

Posted by: , November 12, 2006 7:46 PM

Tom: thanks.

The anonymous chap: before you start criticising my “commentries” for being boring, you should perhaps learn how to spell.

Posted by: Whiggles, November 12, 2006 7:51 PM

Speaking of Profondo Rosso, Michael, have you managed to see the WMV9 High-Def version?

I only saw it on sale once in a large media shop but it was way too pricey for my taste, given the fact that I was unsure if my PC could handle the decoding in a decent manner or not (some WMV9 demos are wonderful, some are stuttering - only 1080Ps luckily)

Posted by: MCP, November 13, 2006 7:02 PM

I’d actually forgotten about the WMV9 release, as it happens. I might pick it up now that you mention it, although the lack of English audio or subtitles makes me wonder whether or not it’s worth it.

Posted by: Whiggles, November 13, 2006 7:04 PM

I wasn't able to find real reviews of the WMV9 version, not even in Italian newsgroups. My guess is that relatively few copies were printed.

Posted by: MCP, November 14, 2006 6:00 PM

One year later... I finally found the WMVHD version, full price, but it was worth it. Yes, no subs and only English language, but image is... wow. I've only seen 5 minutes of it, but on a LCD monitor the difference with overfiltered Medusa DVD is striking.

Also, did not remember the jazz scene at the beginning. This reminded me of 4 Flies hard rock incipit scene. Every Argento's movies has links and references to others.

Posted by: MCP, November 8, 2007 8:56 PM