It’s called addiction

HD DVD HD DVD

I’m sure I’m going to regret this when my credit card bill comes in, but at just over £10 per title (thanks to the ridiculously weak US dollar), these HD DVDs at Deep Discount DVD were too cheap to pass up (thanks Phantom for recommending them to me). I ordered The Adventures of Robin Hood and Casablanca, which, released in 1938 and 1942 respectively, will be the oldest titles I will own on HD DVD, not to mention (and correct me if I’m wrong here) the oldest titles available on the format, period. And yet, despite their age, they’re apparently two of the best-looking discs out there.

With Robin Hood, I must confess that the real draw for me is not the main feature itself but the chance to see two Looney Tunes classics, Rabbit Hood and Robin Hood Daffy, in full 1080p high definition - my first encounter with 2D animation in HD. As for Casablanca, I’ve seen it before, and it’s one of those films that I find myself respecting more than actually liking, but, for some reason, I have a genuine hankering to see an Academy ratio black and white film in high definition, and Casablanca certainly fits that particular bill.

Posted: Monday, December 11, 2006 at 8:18 PM | Comments: 8
Categories: Animation | Cinema | HD DVD

Comments

No idea what they'll look like on HD, but those are two of my favourite films you've got there!

Have they released The Treasure of the Sierra Madre on HD yet? The SE DVD came out at the same time as the other two.

Posted by: Philly Q, December 11, 2006 9:39 PM

great buys, i've yet to pick up Casablanca(it was actually directed by Michael Curtiz, who shot 1/2 of Robbin Hood). I hope you enjoy Robin Hood as much as I did. As to the shorts, they do look fantastic in HD, but Warner restoration defects are much more magnified as well. Thankfully, I didn't see much of NR on the selected shorts, but inconsistency in color texture was apparent(could that be the age?)

Posted by: aw, December 11, 2006 9:41 PM

Phil:
No, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre doesn’t seem to have been released. It’s not announced either, unfortunately.

AW:
Inconsistency of colour texture sounds like an age-related thing to me, or indeed the natural side effect of cels of different thickness making the underlying layers seem lighter or darker. The problem with the colour manipulation of the Looney Tunes cartoons is not so much one of inconsistency but more one of arbitrary changes that are constant throughout the whole cartoon.

Posted by: Whiggles, December 11, 2006 10:02 PM

r DVDtimesI just saw your post on recieving "An American Werewolf in London". I just recieved it today myself, and after viewing I totally agree the 6/10 assessment. I did see a bit of EE but did not notice the aliasing. Anyway, what really bothered me was the inconsistency from shot to shot - most having an almost inexusable amount of noise(I don't think that was grain I saw). I would venture to guess that Robin Hood would merit of 8/10 considering that fine detail is preserved and though there is grain, it is certainly true film grain and not noise - dances and makes the image come alive; much greater definition than "Werewolf"; I highly anticipate your DVDtimes review

Posted by: aw, December 12, 2006 6:04 AM

Yeah, i'm not looking forward to my next CC bill either. The wife just lets me order whatever i want for Christmas (and for my birthday in January), so i ended up with;
BATTLESTAR GALACTICA-1ST SEASON
BATTLESTAR GALACTICA-SEASON 2.0
BATTLESTAR GALACTICA-SEASON 2.5
GREATEST AMERICAN HERO 1ST-3RD SEASON COLLECTION
LOONEY TUNES-GOLDEN COLLECTION VOL 4
ADDAMS FAMILY V.01
DAUGHTERS OF DARKNESS (2D/SE)
INNER SANCTUM MYSTERIES COLLECTION
KING KONG (3D/DE)
COLUMBO-6TH & 7TH SEASONS
TRILOGY OF TERROR (SE)
MANIAC COP (SE)
THE CASE OF THE SCORPION'S TAIL
THE STRANGE VICE OF MRS. WARDH
RESERVOIR DOGS (15TH AE)
THE PUNISHER (SE/2004)
BEAVIS & BUTTHEAD DO AMERICA (SE)
TRANSFORMERS-THE MOVIE

Posted by: Phantom, December 12, 2006 9:06 AM

I've just had to spend £50 on clothes. No DVDs for me, then.

Posted by: Baron Scarpia, December 12, 2006 7:41 PM

I go through clothes very slowly. I’m still wearing many of the same shirts and trousers I had five or six years ago.

Posted by: Whiggles, December 12, 2006 7:45 PM

So do I, but they still wear out at some stage...

Posted by: Baron Scarpia, December 13, 2006 11:15 PM