More Blu-ray “exclusives” on HD DVD

HD DVD

Source: AV Science Forum

Courtesy of our friends at DeAPlaneta Home Entertainment and Filmax in Spain, several more titles that are Blu-ray exclusives in the US are due to be released on HD DVD between now and the first quarter of 2007. These include Underworld: Evolution, Saw and Saw II. The title that especially excites me, however, is Asterix and the Vikings - presumably the first ever high definition release of an Asterix film, not to mentioned the first 2D animated title. I’m practically soiling myself with excitement.

Oh, and for all you spaghetti western fans, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is also listed.

Posted: Wednesday, December 06, 2006 at 8:37 PM | Comments: 7
Categories: Animation | Blu-ray | Cinema | HD DVD

Comments

Saw II has 'censored' on its cover. Is that because the hd-dvd is going to be cut or is it there to censor the two fingers on the front cover?

This is the original poster to compare:

Posted by: broadwayrock, December 6, 2006 8:55 PM

I think it’s the latter - at least, that’s what the posters in that AVS Forum thread seem to think, and, judging by IMDB’s information, this film has never been censored in Spain. To be honest, if it was cut, I really doubt they’d proclaim it so proudly on the front cover.

Posted by: Whiggles, December 6, 2006 8:58 PM

Great to see Visconti's The Leopard there as well as The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

Posted by: , December 6, 2006 9:28 PM

there were three Looney Tunes/Merry Melodie shorts from the 30s and 40s released as extras with The Adventures of Robbin Hood. They were encoded in 1080p much to the surprise of many(the only time Warner had an extra in HD I believe). They look gorgeous but are unfortunately mastered from the same elements as the "Golden Collection" series

Posted by: aw, December 7, 2006 6:23 AM

Ah, I’d forgotten about those. I’m actually somewhat tempted to pick up The Adventures of Robin Hood just for those. In any event, Asterix and the Vikings will probably be the first feature-length 2D animated title released in HD. Personally, I wish Warner would put out The Iron Giant. I’m sure they could make a killing by pasting “From the director of The Incredibles” on the front cover.

Posted by: Whiggles, December 7, 2006 10:23 AM

Personally, I think Robin Hood is the best HD-DVD presentation to date. Fantastic film and copious extras, including a great documentary on the history of Technicolor. I can't say enough good things about the film though - just an awesome adventure film. PQ wise, there was quite alot of grain and maybe a bit of noise but the whole time I was thinking "a film from '38 should NOT look this good"

Posted by: , December 7, 2006 8:14 PM

I’m going to have to pick up The Adventures of Robin Hood, I think… although it’ll probably be mainly for the Looney Tunes shorts rather than the main feature itself. I saw Robin Hood years ago and wasn’t wildly enamoured by it, although it’s always possible that I’ll appreciate it more now.

Posted by: Whiggles, December 7, 2006 8:47 PM