More Italian delights for 2007

DVD

It looks as if 2007 is going to be a truly great year for Lucio Fulci fans. In March, Media Blasters will be delivering the almost definitive version of A Lizard in a Woman’s Skin, and Severin Films will be unleashing his long-lost first giallo, One on Top of the Other (a.k.a. Perversion Story), in February. Before either of these are released, however, we have another Fulci treat to look forward to: the French distributor Neo Publishing are, on January 22nd, releasing his period drama Beatrice Cenci, considered by the maestro himself to be his best film. This film has never before been released on DVD, and it’s one that I’ve wanted to see ever since I read about it in Stephen Thrower’s book Beyond Terror: The Films of Lucio Fulci. As with most Neo Publishing releases, I’m not expecting it to be English-friendly, but, provided it has French subtitles (which I’m guessing will be the case), I can probably muddle through it. I’ve placed my pre-order with Amazon.fr.

DVD

Also doing their bit to keep up the Roman side, Dark Sky Films, the company responsible for last year’s Ultimate Edition of The Texas Chain Saw Massacre, are releasing DVDs of both Mario Bava’s highly-regarded Kill Baby Kill and Riccardo Freda’s little-seen horror film Tragic Ceremony (known to some by the amusingly convoluted title of Estratto Dagli Archivi Segreti della Polizia di una Capitale Europea). It’s the latter, starring the talented Camille Keaton (of What Have You Done to Solange? and I Spit on Your Grave fame), that interests me the most, and I’m going to try to get my hands on a review copy, although I’ll probably also pick up Kill Baby Kill, due out on March 27th. Click here for more details on Tragic Ceremony, and here for Kill Baby Kill.

Posted: Thursday, January 18, 2007 at 4:35 PM | Comments: 6
Categories: Cinema | DVD | Gialli

Comments

And don't forget that Fulci's "City of the Living Dead", "House by the Cemetery", "The Black Cat" and "Don't Torture a Duckling" are coming back to DVD in the US c/o Blue Underground. They don't look to be upgraded discs (Italian audio for 'Duckling' would be very nice), but at least they are out there for folks who didn't get them first time around!

Posted by: Tim R-T-C, January 18, 2007 5:36 PM

Very true, although I didn’t really consider these news-worthy as they are just re-releases. Great that they’re going to be available again, though.

Posted by: Whiggles, January 18, 2007 5:37 PM

This is almost an embarrassment of riches! Shame Beatrice Cenci will almost certainly, as you say, not be English-friendly, but I'll be getting all five of these.

Posted by: Philly Q, January 19, 2007 12:15 AM

Regarding Dark Sky Films, February 27 sees the release of "Jess Franco's Count Dracula" with Christopher Lee returning as the Count.
I always been curious about this film, and it's great to see it's finally getting a US release. I've come close to ordering it from Xploited a few times, it was just the 'fullscreen' & non-English audio tracks which put me off.

Posted by: Paladin, January 19, 2007 1:04 PM

Mike, you must be reading my mind, ordered Beatrice Cenci last night, the Italian track will do me fine.

Severin Films and DarkSky are releasing some cracking DVD's at the moment.

Still up for watching a movie or two?

Posted by: Nick, January 19, 2007 1:16 PM

Still up for watching a movie or two?

Sure? Have you got anything particular in mind? Last time we met I seem to remember you saying you had a massive pile of discs you hadn’t got round to watching.

Posted by: Whiggles, January 19, 2007 1:19 PM