The Blue Underground Syndrome

DVD

Source: Dark Discussion

We’ve not heard much from cult DVD producers Blue Underground recently, barring a few Argento and Fulci re-releases, with news so quiet that many people began to speculate that the company might be on the verge of folding. On a recent webcast interview at Deadpit.com, however, head honcho Bill Lustig let slip some morsels of information, the tastiest of which was the news that the company plans to release a 2-disc special edition of The Stendhal Syndrome, Dario Argento’s best film of the last two decades, in August. For Region 1-restricted American fans especially, who currently have to make do with Troma’s monstrosity, this is huge news. For the more fortunate, a good but not brilliant 2-disc release has been available from Italy since late 2003, but even so I’ll be all over this if Lustig and co are able to deliver on the bonus content, and perhaps even issue a better transfer.

Of course, if they don’t include the superior Italian dub (which features Asia Argento’s own voice) then I would personally consider the disc more or less worthless, as the film is incredibly painful to watch in English (and is also missing a couple of minutes of footage only found in the Italian print). Blue Underground were kind enough to include Italian audio for their 2005 2-discer of The Bird with the Crystal Plumage, and also for Paolo Cavara’s The Black Belly of the Tarantula, but it must be said that, as far as including Italian audio is concerned, their track record isn’t all that great. Still, here’s hoping.

Stay tuned for more information as it becomes available.

Posted: Monday, March 19, 2007 at 9:09 PM | Comments: 11
Categories: Cinema | DVD | Dario Argento | Gialli

Comments

Dario Argento's best film of the last two decades

True.

Of course, if they don't include the superior Italian dub (which features Asia Argento's own voice) then I would personally consider the disc more or less worthless

Truer still. And I'm still wondering why Asia Argento wasn't allowed to dub herself.

Posted by: , March 19, 2007 10:23 PM

Whoops, that was me.

Posted by: Baron Scarpia, March 19, 2007 10:24 PM

In Profondo Argento it says that Nick Alexander (dubbing editor on most of Argento’s films up to and including The Card Player, which was the last title he worked on before his death) didn’t consider either Asia Argento or Thomas Krestchmann’s English to be good enough. Funny, given that Asia seemed pretty intelligible in Trauma, even under that pseudo-Romanian accent.

Posted by: Whiggles, March 19, 2007 10:27 PM

And Kretschmann has done quite a few English-language films (since).

Still, interesting news about this release.

I know I'm a lazy bugger asking this, but I don't like listening to webcasts - did Lustig mention anything else of interest?

Posted by: Philly Q, March 19, 2007 11:15 PM

I don’t know the full details, I haven’t listened to it either. I’m just going by what’s been said on Dark Discussion. If you follow the link, R.J. MacReady has listed a few points of interest - it sounds like this year and the next are going to be pretty quiet for Blue Underground, with a larger slate of titles for 2009.

Posted by: Whiggles, March 19, 2007 11:20 PM

Thanks Mike. The Let Sleeping Corpses Lie SE will be a must-buy (although I prefer the title The Living Dead At The Manchester Morgue!). Not too excited about the other stuff, I'm not sure Circle of Iron warrants a 2-disc treatment. And I've got all their OOP titles, so hopefully the re-releases will have some extra goodies to make them worthwhile.

Posted by: Philly Q, March 19, 2007 11:37 PM

Let Sleeping Corpses Lie and The Living Dead At The Manchester Morgue are the same film?! Wow, you learn something new every day! Seriously, I had no idea.

Posted by: Whiggles, March 19, 2007 11:43 PM

It's a classic! A cool zombie film with a fairly serious don't-mess-with-Mother-Nature message (rather like Jean Rollin's The Grapes Of Death). And it's worth seeing for crabby Arthur Kennedy's bizarre "I don't wanna be here, just gimme the money" performance as the police inspector.

Posted by: Philly Q, March 19, 2007 11:56 PM

Great news. Hopefully I can upgrade from the awful Troma disc!

Living Dead at Manchester Morgue and Let Sleeping Corpses Lie are the same film. In fact a scene from the film was shot near to where I live, at Winnat's Pass in Derbyshire (it is the section of road they stop at to go up to the church. The church doesn't exist, although they matted it in on top of the hill, and made the surroundings look more disturbing and desolate than they actually are! They also seem to have put up a gravel path and an arbor for the characters to walk through so it looks like they are walking somewhere!) I'll have to take my digital camera and take some pictures of Winnats Pass now, and maybe put up a comparison up on DVD Maniacs or something!

Posted by: colinr, March 20, 2007 2:34 PM

Sounds good... hopefully they will release the Stendhal Syndrome in anamorphic 1.66:1... IIRC the Italian release is only in 1.78:1, missing a little big of picture information at the top and bottom. So far I only have the French and Dutch releases of the film and had planned on buying the Italian one at some time, but should the BU release be able to top it, I will go for that one. :)

Of course they would have to include the longer version with Italian language (and English subtitles).

Posted by: BobaFett, March 20, 2007 4:12 PM

Yes, the Italian release is slightly over-matted, something which I hope Blue Underground will correct. It’s also a little too filtered and edge enhanced for my liking - although knowing BU’s track record, any transfer they create is likely to be equally flawed.

Posted by: Whiggles, March 20, 2007 4:18 PM