The king is dead - long live the king!

Disney/Pixar

Source: Animation World Magazine

The Disney direct-to-video animated sequel is dead.

What more need be said? All hail Big John!

Seriously, I can’t even begin to describe how happy I am to finally see this news given official confirmation. I harbour no ill will towards the artists who worked on the likes of Bambi II, Cinderella III: Dreams Come True and, erm, Leroy & Stitch, but these “films” have run the Disney label into the ground for far too long. This should be proof, if proof was ever needed, that John Lasseter is absolutely serious about making the brand respectable again. Okay, I can’t say I’m too thrilled by the prospect of a CGI Tinker Bell movie, but it’s a long, long way from the sacrilege that has been committed since the concept of Disney cheapquels first came into being in 1994 with The Return of Jafar.

Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2007 at 8:08 PM | Comments: 13
Categories: Animation | Cinema | TV

Comments

I won't even watch the trailer for LITTLE MERMAID III. The first sequel is already one of the worst things Disney ever made.

Posted by: Marcus, March 29, 2007 9:05 PM

Must admit I've never seen more than a few minutes of any of those things, but just the thought of them turns my stomach. Especially when they go back and revisit older titles like Bambi and Cinderella.

I'm not a fan of sequels in general, but the Disney cheapquels are even more cynical cash-ins than most, because they're aimed at kids who can't discern what shite they are. At least until they're over the age of 5 or so.

Posted by: Philly Q, March 29, 2007 9:18 PM

You guys seem to forget something...
these movies are for kids and kids love them!
My son and daughter loves them.
All the friend's kid love them.

Posted by: ARCVILE, March 30, 2007 2:27 PM

lol Leroy and Stitch...

Posted by: Muratcan, March 30, 2007 3:16 PM

Kids deserve quality just as much as adults. I can tell you for a fact that I wouldn’t have swallowed the garbage being excreted by the Disney cheapquels department when I was the target age.

Posted by: Whiggles, March 30, 2007 5:52 PM

Casablanca II: Rick and Laszlo

Posted by: MCP, March 30, 2007 7:56 PM

" I can tell you for a fact that I wouldn't have swallowed the garbage being excreted by the Disney cheapquels department when I was the target age."

Right...

Please stop being so pretencious and over everything all the time...

Posted by: ARCVILE, March 30, 2007 8:51 PM

Gee whiz, I never realised having standards was such a taboo.

Oh, and if you’re going to use a word like “pretentious”, you really should learn how to spell it.

Posted by: Whiggles, March 30, 2007 8:53 PM

Re: The cheap Disney spin-offs;
That's what Saturday morning cartoon shows are for.

I was suckered just once with The Lion King 2. Never again.

Posted by: Phantom, March 31, 2007 6:31 AM

"Oh, and if you're going to use a word like "pretentious", you really should learn how to spell it."
Sorry I'm French and my English isnt that good.

"Gee whiz, I never realised having standards was such a taboo."
My comment was based on yours:

Posted by: ARCVILE, April 2, 2007 2:06 AM

And I stand by what I said: when I was a kid, I wouldn’t have watched these cheapquels. You don’t have to be an adult to see how bad they are.

Posted by: Whiggles, April 2, 2007 6:28 AM

As the trades mentioned today:

Mike Disa will direct the Weinstein Co. and Kanbar Entertainment's "Hoodwinked 2: Hood vs. Evil," a CG-animated sequel to the 2006 pic. Disa directed the CG version of "Seven Dwarves" for Disneytoons Studio. He is a former designer of such interactive games as Sega's "Spider-Man" and "Jumping Joey the Roo".

Posted by: ARCVILE, April 2, 2007 5:00 PM

I guess this CG Seven Dwarfs is another cancelled project, along the lines of Dumbo 2. Some ideas are so bad they just have to be aborted at birth.

…unless this is just a late April Fools’ joke?

Posted by: Whiggles, April 2, 2007 5:24 PM