Mulholland Dr. HD DVD confirmed as English-friendly

HD DVD

Delayed from its original release date of March 5th, Mulholland Dr. was finally released on HD DVD in France on May 21st. I originally cancelled my pre-order due to fears that French subtitles would be forced when English audio was selected, and opted instead to wait for the UK release from Optimum. With that release postponed indefinitely, however, I made up my mind to pick up the French release, forced subtitles or not. Luckily, AV Science Forum member tteich has picked up several of the recent Studio Canal HD DVD releases, and has provided a rundown of the language options available for each. The bad news is that French subtitles are forced when English audio is selected if it’s a copy of Three Days of the Condor you’re looking for, or the theatrical cut of Terminator 2 (the director’s cut is unaffected); additionally, Army of Shadows has no support at all for English speakers. Thankfully, however, many of this month’s releases, including Mulholland Dr., can be watched in English without subtitles (or, if applicable, in their native non-English language with English subtitles). Needless to say, I’ve placed an order at Amazon.fr.

HD DVD

I also ordered a copy of Christophe Gans’ Le Pacte des Loups (Brotherhood of the Wolf), released on the same day (and due for release in the UK at some point between now and doomsday). I’ve not seen the film, but I was really impressed by Gans’ most recent film, Silent Hill, so I figure it’s worth a look. The HD DVD features the original French audio track plus optional English subtitles. I also have a two-year-old email from a reader urging me to look into the Region 1 DVD as a contender for the DVD Transfer Hall of Fame (now acquisitioned by Lyris). After so long, I feel like a bit of a heel for not checking it out, so let’s hope the HD DVD looks decent!

Posted: Saturday, May 26, 2007 at 10:47 PM | Comments: 12
Categories: Cinema | HD DVD

Comments

Brotherhood of the Wolf is an excellent choice. Is there a directors cut Terminator 2 on HD DVD available?

Posted by: , May 27, 2007 11:27 AM

Yeah, the French HD DVD includes both the theatrical and director’s cuts on separate discs.

Posted by: Whiggles, May 27, 2007 11:29 AM

Gans is really a peculiar film maker, one of the few Europeans capable of action scenes on the same level of USA and HK directors. I enjoyed visual style, atmosphere and pace of both Crying Freeman and the Brotherood, althoug I think some of the deleted scenes had better stay in the second movie (there's a really long fight scene, in particular... the reason it was left out is beyond me).

Posted by: MCP, May 27, 2007 2:20 PM

Gans' SILENT HILL wasn't all that great, but CRYING FREEMAN is a pretty darn good little flick...

And yes, the French MULHOLLAND disc can be viewed without subs :)

Posted by: , May 27, 2007 3:48 PM

"I also have a two-year-old email from a reader urging me to look into the Region 1 DVD as a contender for the DVD Transfer Hall of Fame."

That was me!

Posted by: Jayson Sehn, May 27, 2007 8:04 PM

Ha, I knew that name was familiar. ;)

Posted by: Whiggles, May 27, 2007 9:45 PM

No offence intended, Jayson, but if you're referring to the Canadian R1 I think the transfer is pretty awful, a big shimmering mess of macro-blocking. There's just too much on the disc - 150 minutes of film and 5 audio tracks including DTS. The US R1 doesn't look notably better, and it's the truncated 143 minute version, to make matters worse.

The film, though, is fantastic. I hope the HD DVD includes the longer version (which was, I think, only released in France and Canada).

Posted by: Philly Q, May 29, 2007 9:28 PM

AVS Forum

Sounds to me like the French release is the director’s cut, while the UK release is the shorter version.

Posted by: Whiggles, May 29, 2007 10:37 PM

Yep, from Kannisto's posts it sounds like the French HD DVD is exactly the same cut as the Canadian DVD. Excellent news!!

Posted by: Philly Q, May 30, 2007 12:41 AM

Just noticed that later in the thread Canary Jules says "the running time is 2 hours 30 mins 12 seconds on the UK version".

That's the director's cut too, so I'd hazard a guess that France and UK actually have the same HD DVD disc.

Posted by: Philly Q, May 30, 2007 12:46 AM

The UK release actually includes an English dub, apparently, which isn’t on the French release, so they’re not the same disc. Doesn’t the UK release also have BBFC cuts for animal cruelty, or am I thinking of a different film?

Posted by: Whiggles, May 30, 2007 7:26 AM

I saw about the English dub, but I'd made so many posts already (in my childish excitement about the director's cut) that I was embarrassed to correct myself (I'll read the whole page next time...).

None of the film or video versions submitted to the BBFC have been cut, unless they were pre-cut by the distributor, which I'd guess is unlikely in animal cruelty cases.

Posted by: Philly Q, May 30, 2007 9:24 AM