What sort of noise does a goblin make?

Are you a fan of Goblin? Do you have a lot of money to fritter away? Then you might be interested in this 8-CD box set from Japan, featuring the scores to Profondo Rosso (2 discs), Suspiria, Roller, Il Fantastico Viaggio del Bagarozzo Mark, Zombi, Tenebre and Cherry Five. Myself, I doubt that I’d be prepared to spend this much money on music even if I could afford it, but I’m sure it will make a few collectors out there very happy. Incidentally, I do need to pick up the scores to Profondo Rosso and Tenebre, which for some reason are missing from my library of CDs.

Credit for discovering this little gem goes to Andrew Monroe at DVD Maniacs.

Posted: Tuesday, May 01, 2007 at 10:22 PM | Comments: 5
Categories: Cinema | Dario Argento | Gialli | Music

Comments

For Italian speaking people, Il Fantastico Viaggio del Bagarozzo Mark sounds really funny when placed among all those other frighteningly-titled scores (don't know about Cherry Five, though)

Posted by: MCP, May 2, 2007 8:02 PM

"The Fantascic Voyage of Beetle Mark" sounds like some cartoon.
The album is a soundtrack to a non existing movie.
Overall I like it but for some reason it doesn't grab me like other Italian Prog acts do.
I hear a lot of "Dawn of the Dead" influences on the album.
That's not a bad thing but I never liked the synth sound.

Cherry Five and also Roller are superior (IMO!).

CP

Oh,and if I had the cash I'd buy it :)

Posted by: Crystal Plumage, May 3, 2007 5:54 PM

Bagarozzo is in fact a regional term from central and southern Italy, altough now accepted by dictionaries. It is considered a funny and not-too-refined way to name beetles and cockroaches and other insects: you could easily find this term in a joke - or in Italian sexy comedies of the Seventies, where characters and actors (sometimes the roles overlapped) were often from Rome and Cinecitta'.

Posted by: MCP, May 3, 2007 8:37 PM

Thanks for clearing that up MCP!
There's nothing on that in the booklet.Only a tale about a beetle going on a journey in a "Yellow Submarine"-like cartoon..

CP

Posted by: Crystal Plumage, May 4, 2007 10:46 AM

So cartoon it was. Maybe the key lies in a sort of light, unconventional approach to prog music? Given that prog rock was considered very serious...

Anyway it sounds like a good question for Simonetti: "Ok, enough with Suspiria and Deep Red, now let's get serious and talk about the misteries of bagarozzo Mark" ;)

Posted by: MCP, May 4, 2007 7:44 PM