BU Stendhal specs announced

DVD

Fangoria has got the scoop on Blue Underground’s upcoming release of Dario Argento’s The Stendhal Syndrome, due for release on September 25th. This 2-disc special edition will feature the following specifications and extras:

Disc 1:
- 119 minute uncut version
- 16x9-enhanced 1.66:1 transfer
- 6.1 Dolby DTS-ES English audio track
- 5.1 Dolby Surround EX English audio track
- 2.0 Dolby Surround Italian audio track
- Original Theatrical Trailer

Disc 2:
- “Director: Dario Argento” featurette
- “Inspiration: Psychological Consultant Graziella Magherini” featurette
- “Special Effects: Sergio Stivaletti” featurette
- “Assistant Director: Luigi Cozzi” featurette
- “Production Designer: Massimo Antonello Geleng” featurette

Sounds like it’s going to be a great set, although I’m a little confused as to why Blue Underground would bother remixing the horrendous English dub into 6.1 rather than the vastly superior Italian version (and I’m a little concerned that no mention is made of subtitles - such things are not guaranteed with Bill Lustig at the helm, even when non-English audio is included). It’s also a shame Alan Jones seemingly didn’t get a chance to record that interview with Asia Argento for the disc that he was trying to put together at Cannes.

On the same day, Blue Underground will also be re-releasing The Cat O’ Nine Tails, Opera and Suspiria. As with their earlier releases of Deep Red and Inferno, these will simply be the old Anchor Bay DVDs repackaged. Opera will be the single-disc release, while Suspiria will be a 2-disc set, presumably replicating the first two discs of the Anchor Bay 3-disc limited edition, sans soundtrack CD.

This information discovered by R.J. MacReady at Dark Discussion.

Posted: Friday, June 08, 2007 at 11:23 PM | Comments: 7
Categories: Cinema | DVD | Dario Argento | Gialli

Comments

I think Stendhal will have subtitles - BU hardly ever have subs on English-only releases but I'm (almost) sure all their discs with foreign-language audio tracks have subs.

Gotta say I'm not bowled over by the extras. An Alan Jones commentary would be better than all the stuff on disc 2.

Posted by: Philly Q, June 9, 2007 1:54 AM

Sorry but the re-packaging are useless!
Looking foward to STENDHAL though.

Posted by: ARCVILE, June 9, 2007 5:32 AM

“Sorry but the re-packaging are useless!
Looking foward to STENDHAL though.”

I agree, although I suppose they’re a good thing for people who missed out on picking them up first time round.

Posted by: Whiggles, June 9, 2007 9:35 AM

I think it's strange that they are re-releasing DVDs that are still available on "Amazon.com" or "DVD Pacific".
It's quite easy to find the Single Discs of "Opera" or "Suspiria" and even the "Anchor Bay"-Version of "Deep Red".

Posted by: Kamyar-MZ, June 10, 2007 1:59 PM

"But since they're not simply re-packaging "Phenomena" and "Tenebre", it makes me hope that ultimate editions are in the works."

I believe Anchor Bay still have the rights to those two titles and are, indeed, working on special editions (I hesitate to say "ultimate"...)

I just looked through the list of BU's re-packaged AB discs and realised that, apart from The Blood-Spattered Bride, I already have all of them on Anchor Bay. Hmmm, perhaps I own too many DVDs.

Posted by: Philly Q, June 10, 2007 3:03 PM

They better put subtitles. I am sure they won't though. The fact that they are mixing the English track on 6.1 already shows they are more concerned with the English language track.

Posted by: Marcus, June 10, 2007 10:39 PM

Can't we start a petition?

Posted by: Marcus, June 10, 2007 10:39 PM