You win some, you lose some

HD DVD

I got home today today to find that the HD DVDs of Mulholland Drive and Brotherhood of the Wolf had both arrived from Amazon.fr, and I’m happy to report that Mulholland Drive looks really nice. It’s not the most amazing transfer you’ll ever see, but it seems to basically be faithful to the look of the film, which is slightly diffuse. I did notice some signs of noise reduction in some of the later scenes, which is odd, because the earlier scenes that I looked at appeared to be unaffected. I’ll give the transfer a more thorough appraisal when I actually sit down to watch it from beginning to end, which I’ll be doing prior to putting together a review for DVD Times. For now, I’m just glad to have one of my five favourite films in high definition, with a transfer that isn’t a complete embarrassment.

HD DVD

That complete embarrassment would be Brotherhood of the Wolf, whose transfer is so weak that I don’t know why Studio Canal even bothered releasing it in HD (oh right, to make money - of course). Detail is weak, and heavy ringing is constantly in evidence: take a look at Lyris’ post for some shots of the mediocrity. If American Psycho is the worst-looking Blu-ray disc I own, then Brotherhood of the Wolf is definitely my worst-looking HD DVD. Then again, I don’t own Traffic, so perhaps I should be thankful for small mercies. Needless to say, if I’m not sufficiently impressed by the film itself, I’ll be offloading the HD DVD post-haste.

Posted: Friday, June 08, 2007 at 11:56 PM | Comments: 5
Categories: Blu-ray | Cinema | HD DVD

Comments

Bummer about Brotherhood Of The Wolf. The DVD transfer was so weak I was sure they'd have produced a nice shiny new HD master for this release.

Posted by: Philly Q, June 9, 2007 1:56 AM

I love both films!

Posted by: ARCVILE, June 9, 2007 5:30 AM

Studio Canal really aren't doing HD DVD any favours with their mainly shoddy work so far on the format.
Would you say Mulholland Drive is the best Studio Canal HD DVD you've seen so far?

Posted by: , June 9, 2007 10:32 AM

Yeah, I’ve seen screenshots of the Terminator 2 HD DVD everyone’s been raving about and it looks horrendously soft. Mulholland Drive probably is the best-looking Studio Canal title I’ve seen, but to be fair I’ve only seen three.

Posted by: Whiggles, June 9, 2007 10:34 AM

If you and I have seen the same T2 HD DVD screenshots, it honestly doesn't look that soft. I think whoever captured them didn't do something right. SC's T2 isn't perfect, but it's the best the film has looked so far.

Though like I posted over at David's blog, Universal's The 40 Year Old Virgin HD DVD is (probably) the reigning king of edge enhancement on HD optical disc--by far. It's completely and utterly terrible looking in terms of EE and filtering.

It's so bad, after (ore if you ever) see it, you'll reevaluate your feelings on The Matrix...

Posted by: Jayson Sehn, June 11, 2007 11:03 PM