But it’s just cartoons, innit?

HD DVD/Blu-ray/DVD

Generally speaking, Japanese animation doesn’t do a whole lot for me, unless it’s by Hayao Miyazaki, and even then I tend to be a bit picky. Back when I was doing my MLitt, however, we had a lecture on anime, during which we were shown Tokyo Godfathers, which, in addition to having an incredibly witty and involving narrative, boasted the most outrageous posing and facial expressions I’ve ever seen outside of Warner Brothers and Spumco - a far cry from the usual static faces with only the mouths opening and closing favoured by anime directors. The director of this film was Satoshi Kon, whose greatest claim to fame appears to be Perfect Blue, described by some as the closest thing in existence to an anime giallo.

Blu-ray

Anyway, his latest film, Paprika, was recently released on Blu-ray in certain territories, including Japan and France. Judging by the trailers and stills that I’ve seen, its animation eschews the flamboyance of Tokyo Godfathers in favour of the more static, conservative look usually associated with anime, but, given the complete and utter dearth of 2D animation on either of the HD formats (barring the three Looney Tunes cartoons included on The Adventures of Robin Hood HD DVD), I’m willing to take what I can get, and in any event I’m hoping that Paprika demonstrates the same quality of storytelling seen in Tokyo Godfathers. Anyway, I’ve ordered a copy of the French release, which DVDRAMA tells me is region-free and includes English subtitles.

HD DVD

Speaking of 2D high definition animation in France, according to FilmTalk, Sylvain Chomet’s Les Triplettes de Belleville (or Belleville Rendez-vous, or The Triplets of Belleville, depending on where you are in the world) is to get an HD DVD release (from Warner, presumably, as they released the standard definition version) on October 31st 2007. Given that it is almost completely dialogue-free, English subtitles (or lack thereof) should not be an issue. Needless to say, I’ll definitely be picking this one up too.

Posted: Monday, July 09, 2007 at 8:24 PM | Comments: 7
Categories: Animation | Blu-ray | Cinema | Gialli | HD DVD

Comments

I saw PAPRIKA and it turned out a major disapointment... especially compared to MILLENIUM ACTRESS. Most of PAPRIKA is just weird to be weird which in the end is pretty pointless.

What anything from Miyazaki instead... or MIND GAME!

Posted by: ARCVILE, July 10, 2007 3:46 AM

Given that you only ever seem to be able to muster a grudging respect for anime,both here and on DVD Times,I'd prefer you skipped the genre entirely,rather than offer up some condescending observation on the limited amount you've seen.If Western animation contained a fraction of the inventiveness,style and flair of the best anime,it wouldn't be in such a mess.Oh and Arcvile got it right with Mindgame-the best animated feature in the past 10 years...

Posted by: Brian, July 10, 2007 11:25 AM

Posted by: Todd S. Gallows, July 10, 2007 2:54 PM

Brian:

That is why, broadly speaking, I shy away from reviewing anime titles, just as I don’t generally review musicals or romantic comedies. Such films are not to my tastes, and as a result I prefer to leave it to others to cover them. However, if you have a problem with me expressing opinions on my personal web site, then the only advice I can offer is not to read them.

Posted by: Whiggles, July 10, 2007 6:39 PM

Brian: I don't think Western animation's biggest problem is a lack of inventiveness. It's the processes used to make it that make everything so boring.

I also find a lot of anime incredibly boring.

Posted by: Lyris, July 10, 2007 6:56 PM

I think animation is too broad and too varied a subject for us to claim: all Westerners do it like this - bad; all Japanese do it like that - good (or viceversa, obviously). There's boredom and there's genius in both worlds...

Going to animation festivals such as Annency in France can really be enlightening, with animated movies coming from litterally everywhere and zillions of different techniques and styles.

Posted by: MCP, July 10, 2007 8:35 PM

"Oh and Arcvile got it right with Mindgame-the best animated feature in the past 10 years..."
Thank you!

"I had high hopes for Paprika, but as Arcvile said, it's a letdown. It's pretty much style over substance."
Thank you!

See Whiggles, I'm ALWAYS right... just like you!
Ahahahhahahah!