DVDs I bought or received in the month of July

HD DVD/Blu-ray/DVD
  • Arrivederci Amore, Ciao (R3 Thailand, DVD)
  • Being John Malkovich (R0 USA, HD DVD)
  • Black Snake Moan (R0 USA, HD DVD)
  • Blood Diamond (R0 USA, HD DVD)
  • The Bourne Identity (R0 USA, HD DVD)
  • Crank (RA USA, Blu-ray)
  • The Fifth Element (remastered) (R0 USA, Blu-ray)
  • La Haine (R0 UK, HD DVD)
  • Layer Cake (R0 UK, Blu-ray)
  • Paprika (R0 France, Blu-ray)
  • The Secret of NIMH: Family Fun Edition (R1 USA, DVD)
  • The Simpsons: The Complete Seventh Season (R1 USA, DVD)
  • The Simpsons: The Complete Sixth Season (R1 USA, DVD)
  • Syriana (R0 UK, HD DVD)

PS. I know I said I wouldn’t be posting much at all over the course of the next week and a half, but I felt the need to acknowledge that we have lost to cinematic visionaries, Ingmar Bergman and Michelangelo Antonioni, in the space of 24 hours. Shockingly, I haven’t seen a single Bergman film, but this news has made me feel an intense need to rectify this problem immediately.

Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2007 at 9:04 PM | Comments: 6
Categories: Animation | Blu-ray | Cinema | DVD | HD DVD

Comments

"Shockingly, I haven't seen a single Bergman film, but this news has made me feel an intense need to rectify this problem immediately."

Neither have I. But then I haven't seen "Crank" either and I'm worried that if I get hit by a bus tomorrow, I'll regret such oversights.

Posted by: My Name Is Nobody, July 31, 2007 11:14 PM

How can you say that Ingmar was a cinematic visionary if you havent even seen any of his films?!

Sorry but thats beyond me!

Posted by: ARCVILE, August 1, 2007 3:34 AM

Because I’m aware of what he has contributed to the medium, which is nothing to be sniffed at.

Posted by: Whiggles, August 1, 2007 7:25 AM

This is indeed sad news. I have only watched a handful of films from both these directors but as a lover of cinema it is impossible not to be aware of the acclaim and prestige associated with the now departed Bergman and Antonioni.

If your interested Michael, I can send up WILD STRAWBERRIES. A very highly regarded Bergman film which boasts some exquisite dreamlike film making: the powerful quality of cinema as the oneiric above all should be remembered as Bergman's legacy.

Posted by: Count Fosco, August 1, 2007 8:43 AM

and let's not forget that Mike Reid has passed away too - I hope that up there in Heaven he is waiting to be cast in a new film co-directed by Bergman and Antonioni!

Posted by: , August 2, 2007 3:07 PM

I think PERSONA is a perfect start to Bergman, though I know many will disagree with me. Many say HOUR OF THE WOLF is his only horror film, I'd like to add PERSONA in there too.

Posted by: Marcus, August 5, 2007 11:00 PM