A suggestion to Michael Bay: stop your whining

Web

Until today, I didn’t realise that Michael Bay, director of such, er, delights as Armageddon and Pearl Harbor (and The Rock, but I wasn’t going to mention it as I actually like that film), had his own web site. Turns out he does, though, and he has been using his forum to mouth off about Paramount’s decision to drop support for Blu-ray, which affects his most recent film, Transformers:

I want people to see my movies in the best formats possible. For them to deny people who have Blu-ray sucks! They were progressive by having two formats. No Transformers 2 for me!

So, Mr. Bay, where were you when Disney elected not to release The Rock and Pearl Harbor on HD DVD? It works both ways, you know. I must admit, it’s quite amusing watching a big-shot Hollywood moviemaker (albeit not a very good one) throwing a tantrum because one of his films isn’t coming out on what is fairly obviously his preferred format. Not to worry, though - I’m sure he’ll still have a promising career producing limp horror remakes once he’s finished burning his bridges with the major studios.

Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2007 at 10:51 AM | Comments: 15
Categories: Blu-ray | Cinema | HD DVD | Web

Comments

A suggestion to Michael Mackenzie: stop your whining and moaning and get a life! Do you think the guy actually cares about what you post on blogs? He's too busy counting his money!

You also write he isn't a very good filmmaker. Are u a filmmaker? Or perhaps you are a failed filmmaker that switched to movie reviewer? Why don't you do something creative as well?

Posted by: roba, August 21, 2007 11:44 PM

Hey Roba

I guess you bought a Blu-ray player then?

Michael is actually a reviewer over at DVD Times. So yes, I think that his opinion holds more weight than some.

Michael Bay has actually posted a follow-up on his site which is interesting. The plot thickens:

Posted by: Lyris, August 22, 2007 1:48 AM

Michael - you have been served, or pwned, or whatever. Apparently.

Anyway - High-Def Digest

Posted by: Jeffrey Allen Rydell, August 22, 2007 4:42 AM

Roba:

Do you think I actually care what you post in my comments section?

Yes, I did write that he isn’t a very good filmmaker. You don’t have to be one yourself to think that, just as you don’t have to be a teacher/cook/musician/etc. to believe that someone is a bad teacher/cook/musician/etc.

Posted by: Whiggles, August 22, 2007 7:29 AM

well, you say he isn't good but he is one of the top Hollywood filmmakers at the moment and everybody knows him. Who knows you?

Lyris: no Blu-Ray or HD for me. DVD is good enough for now.

Posted by: Roba, August 22, 2007 2:16 PM

So are you trying to tell me that you can only criticise someone’s output if you share their profession? Does this mean that you have never criticised someone else’s films? Being famous and owning a few Lambourghinis does not guarantee talent. Everyone knows Eminem, Britney Spears, Brett Ratner, Seth McFarlane and Tom Green - does their notoriety also make them beyond criticism?

Posted by: Whiggles, August 22, 2007 6:03 PM

nobody's beyond criticism. you just waste a lot of time criticizing other people's work instead of doing something creative of your own.

Posted by: roba, August 22, 2007 8:13 PM

I say both bad and good things about people’s work. If I can do one, surely I can do the other.

Take a holiday.

Posted by: Whiggles, August 22, 2007 8:16 PM

Mr. Bay, would you please stop posting here and go back to directing shit movies? :D

Posted by: Marcus, August 23, 2007 5:31 AM

Bay sucks and so does all of his movies!
TRANSFORMERS was an insult!
And dont even get me started about ARMAGEDDON, THE ROCK, BAD BOYS and such crapfest!

Posted by: ARCVILE, August 24, 2007 1:42 AM

I hate Bay and I detest his films, but I thought both THE ROCK and TRANSFORMERS were pretty decent. Not great, but good fun to watch in the theater.

Everything else ranges from mediocre to complete disaster.

Posted by: Marcus, August 24, 2007 3:09 AM

I will be back.

Posted by: roba, August 24, 2007 8:11 PM

Shit, it *is* Michael Bay - he makes the same threat at the end of every one of his movies.

Posted by: Jeffrey Allen Rydell, August 25, 2007 5:05 AM

Michael Bay posting here? You guys really must think you are too important. bye for now

Posted by: roba, August 26, 2007 9:34 PM

Clearly, Roba, you are not acquainted with sarcasm.

Posted by: Whiggles, August 27, 2007 10:20 AM