See every fleck of blood in living colour

Lions Gate’s track record for Blu-ray output has been rather spotty so far, but given the right materials, they are capable of producing some absolute gems. The best Lions Gate title that I’ve seen is The Descent, which bears the honour of being one of a small number of films available in high definition that not only looks superb but is also an excellent film. This is a very natural-looking title, pleasingly grainy and not having the extremely clean look of the likes of Black Snake Moan or King Kong. Basically, it looks rough and ready, like the caves in which the heroines find themselves trapped.

The Descent
(Lions Gate, USA, AVC, 20.1 GB)

The Descent The Descent The Descent The Descent The Descent The Descent The Descent The Descent The Descent

Posted: Thursday, October 04, 2007 at 10:46 PM | Comments: 5
Categories: BD Impressions | Blu-ray | Cinema | Technology

Comments

Finally! Screen of a good movie!

Posted by: ARCVILE, October 5, 2007 4:24 AM

Why do your screens look so much better than the majority of supposedly direct-from-disc screen captures I see over at AVS?

Heck, your caps are the probably the best I've ever seen, instead of the oddly blurry ones from gooki and sarah at AVS.

Posted by: Jayson, October 5, 2007 3:45 PM

I’m surprised that you say that, because Gooki and Sarah’s captures are exactly the same as mine, pulled straight off the disc with no additional tampering. The difference, maybe, is that I’ve generally only taken captures of the best-looking titles so far, whereas Gooki especially posts captures from discs of wildly varying quality. Maybe later I’ll start posting captures of poorer-looking discs, but at the moment I’m mainly interested in showing people what the formats are capable of by selecting the best transfers, instead of scaring potential customers away by showing them, say, American Psycho or La Haine.

Posted by: Whiggles, October 5, 2007 3:52 PM

There's also something to be said for grabbing with an eye toward solid, representative frames. 'Off-frames' (non-resting compositions, figures in motion) have a tendency to look a bit ephemeral.

Posted by: Jeffrey Allen Rydell, October 6, 2007 6:32 PM

Yeah, that’s true, Jeff. I always try to take captures of relatively static moments, because I don’t think there’s a whole lot to be achieved by capturing a blurry out of focus shot where the camera and actors are flailing about. In these cases, it is, after all, the movement that gives a semblance of detail, with the individual frames themselves not looking particularly stunning.

Posted by: Whiggles, October 6, 2007 10:11 PM