The DVD from Hell

DVD

While I was out at work yesterday, my 666th DVD arrived… and it turned out to de the decidedly non-satanic Veronica Guerin. Too bad I didn’t have the foresight to mark the occasion with something more appropriate, he he.

I first saw Veronica Guerin two Christmases ago, when I had taken out a subscription to Blockbuster Online and was sifting through various films that I thought sounded interesting. I enjoyed it greatly at the time, and, last week, when I watched it on TV with the sides of the picture unceremoniously lopped off (damn you to heck, 1.78:1!), was even more impressed by it. Heaven alone knows how Joel Schumacher and Jerry Bruckheimer managed to turn a film like this out between them, but they somehow did.

The DVD itself was a mere £3.99, but, upon popping it into my computer, I was a little annoyed to discover that this is in fact a re-release, which strips out the extras from the original version in order to fit the entire film on to a single layer disc. And this despite the back cover claiming that “layer transition may trigger a slight pause”. Go figure.

Posted: Sunday, December 02, 2007 at 6:10 PM | Comments: 7
Categories: Cinema | DVD | TV

Comments

Give Schumacher some credit, he directed "The Lost Boys" and officially apologized for "Batman and Robin." :D

Posted by: Marcus, December 3, 2007 12:41 AM

Yeah, I know, but even so, this film is such a change of pace for him that I was shocked when I saw his and Bruckheimer’s names at the start.

Posted by: Whiggles, December 3, 2007 9:37 AM

Ever listen to the "Batman & Robin" commentary?
Schumacher delivered exactly what the studio wanted. More camp.

Posted by: Phantom, December 3, 2007 1:51 PM

Which, I should think, is enough indication that sometimes rebellion is justified. Even moderately intelligent potatoes would have objected to the studio's demands where Batman and Robin is concerned.

Posted by: Baron Scarpia, December 3, 2007 9:19 PM

During one of our editing seminars last year, we were privileged(?) to have David Gamble give us a "masterclass" using three of his films as examples. Afterward, I asked Mr Gamble how powerful Jerry Bruckheimer's influence could be on a production. In reference to VERONICA GUERIN, towards the end of the film there is a car chase sequence that was not originally intended to be in the film, or at least, not presented in the way that it is. An argument sprang up between Schumacher and Bruckheimer, with the former quite correctly claiming that the film was a tragedy and as such, should not deviate from its consistent pacing, Bruckheimer, however; simply felt there was not enough "action" (his only justification) - obviously, we can see who won the battle.

Posted by: Chris B, December 6, 2007 10:50 AM

Interesting story, Chris. Call me crazy, though, but I don’t remember a car chase in this film, unless Gamble was referring to the moment where the biker assassin pursues Veronica’s car along the motorway. If so, I really wouldn’t describe it as a car chase, and it certainly doesn’t distract from the flow of the film.

Posted by: Whiggles, December 6, 2007 12:19 PM

You are indeed correct, I am referring to the biker chase sequence, alas, I cannot comment further as I've not actually seen the film myself, simply reiterating Gamble's tale of artistic difference.

Excellent blog, btw.