Dear Universal, this is what a catalogue release SHOULD look like

Blu-ray

With Universal on the way to Blu-ray, they will soon find themselves up against Sony Pictures, whose transfers for catalogue titles, while not always perfect, are generally of a much higher standard than the ones being put out by the other majors - particularly Universal, who are often guilty of the worst Crimes Against Film.

Today, I received the UK Blu-ray release of one of my favourite films, Run Lola Run, and I’m pleased to report that it looks better than I could ever have hoped. Is it perfect? No, it’s not, and, unsurprisingly, it doesn’t have the detail that you would get from a DI-sourced transfer, but it does look really, really good, and puts Universal’s HD DVD release of American Gangster, which I also received today, a film that is nearly a decade younger, to shame. That’s just plain wrong.

Run Lola Run
(Sony Pictures, UK, AVC, 23.3 GB)

Run Lola Run Run Lola Run Run Lola Run Run Lola Run Run Lola Run Run Lola Run Run Lola Run Run Lola Run Run Lola Run

Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2008 at 9:41 PM | Comments: 10
Categories: BD Impressions | Blu-ray | Cinema | HD DVD | Technology

Comments

Considering the mix of film stocks, animation, et al, it does indeed look very good.

Hopefully you've seen Tykwer's Winter Sleepers, The Princess and the Warrior, Heaven, and Paris je t'aime (segment).

Posted by: Anon, February 19, 2008 11:52 PM

Love RUN, LOLA, RUN!

Posted by: ARCVILE, February 20, 2008 1:45 AM

Good stuff, one of the few blu-rays I've picked up this month along with Almost Famous. I'm too busy taking advantage of HD DVD firesales. It may be sad for format fans, but as a film lover, it's simply brilliant to be able to grab so much bargains!

Posted by: rebel-scum, February 21, 2008 3:29 PM

Be warned, Almost Famous doesn’t look anything like as good as this. I hope to do a post on it later.

Posted by: Whiggles, February 21, 2008 3:30 PM

"Be warned, Almost Famous doesn't look anything like as good as this."

Or maybe it does...

As a hardcore Tykwer fan/friend on mine said: "OMG! I hope that's not how the Run Lola Run release looks! Where did all the slight purple hue and crushed contrast come from!

I'm picking up this disc right away (in like 10 minutes). I'll confirm if this is a bunked up transfer."

Posted by: Anon, February 21, 2008 5:18 PM

Purple hue? Crushed contrast? Is he sure? I see no signs of a purple tint (if anything, it leans more towards yellow), certainly not in comparison to the earlier DVD, and the contrast also looks similar to me (the blown-out sky in shot 6 looks just the same on the DVD). Could is screen be improperly calibrated?

Posted by: Whiggles, February 21, 2008 6:03 PM

Oh, most definitely not, he's a filmmaker/editor/VFX/DVD authoring guy himself and nothing less than perfection is allowed in the ol' "home studio." Here's his comments on the BD:

"At first glance, I always thought the colours looked messed up on those pics (based on my memory of the film). Lola looked green/yellow-ish on lola4.jpg, and Manni looked purple on lola7.jpg. I compared them to the DVD. And I can now say the colours are totally messed up on the BD. There is also framing issues. As the BD looks cropped on the left/right sides. I've seen this movie probably well over a hundred times, and based on these pics, the BD presentations is WAY to much on the green side. I've attached pics that showcase all these problems."

Link

Link

Link

Posted by: Anon, February 22, 2008 12:55 AM

Well, in that case, I’ll bow to his superior knowledge. Looking at the comparison shots, it’s very clear that something is up with the colour palette, although, given that I’m not as familiar with the film as your friend is, I personally would have struggled to pick out the “correct” one. I would personally have said that the DVD looked overly pink to me, based on those shots, but I’m always wary of attempting to go by flesh tones when trying to ascertain the correct colour balance, especially on a film as stylised as Lola.

Can I just ask, though, is your friend basing his opinions on the BD transfer entirely on the DVD itself (which could easily have been the one that was messed up), or has he seen it recently in an alternate form (e.g. theatrically) or a more controlled venue? I’m not doubting him, just trying to get to the bottom of what seems to be a pretty serious discrepancy.

Posted by: Whiggles, February 22, 2008 10:14 AM

Hmmmmmm, having just watched the UK BD, I can safely say that anyone seeing a 'purple hue' on this title has either a faulty disc or display,(or faulty head). As mentioned by the webmaster himself, yellow is most certainly the dominant colour and there is NO contrast problem. It looks exactly like it did color wise on the old UK DVD. My only qubble is that Lola's hair looks magenta instead of red in a couple of shots, but I'm sure that this was probably present in the DVD as well. Looks excellent for a film made for 10p. A corking disc for fans of the movie.
Maybe the U.S. disc was screwed up?!!

Posted by: rebel_scum, February 24, 2008 4:20 PM

^^^^^^ Having said that, I don't remember the ambulance looking that orange. Ouch!! What a plum I am!

Posted by: rebel_scum, February 24, 2008 4:40 PM