Sickness and parasites

Blu-ray

I’ve just seen The Fly.

The 1986 David Cronenberg version.

In high definition.

Yuck.

PS. Just in case anyone’s wondering, I liked it. I wouldn’t put it at the top of Cronenberg’s filmography, but I enjoyed it more than Shivers, Spider and A History of Violence, about as much as Dead Ringers and Eastern Promises, and not as much as Naked Lunch, Crash and eXistenZ.

Posted: Friday, February 08, 2008 at 9:23 PM | Comments: 14
Categories: Blu-ray | Cinema

Comments

Oh yes, despite me having The Fly on my priority rental list, you get to watch it first and what am I watching tonight?

An Italian zombie film, that's what, directed by the same guy who did Strip Nude for Your Killer.

Posted by: Baron Scarpia, February 8, 2008 9:51 PM

That’s karma for Freddy Got Fingered, my friend.

Posted by: Whiggles, February 8, 2008 9:53 PM

By the way, any chance of that Four Flies on Grey Velvet review appearing any time soon? :)

Posted by: Whiggles, February 8, 2008 10:22 PM

I keep forgetting to put it up - though the review for the zombie film is up, oddly enough.

I'll do so tomorrow.

Posted by: Baron Scarpia, February 9, 2008 12:09 AM

Four Flies review is now up and running.

Posted by: Baron Scarpia, February 9, 2008 2:36 PM

Class film, holds up really well (hopefully in HD as well!)

Posted by: Anon, February 9, 2008 3:42 PM

This is one of the better remakes.

Posted by: Avanze, February 9, 2008 3:44 PM

Uh - maybe I'm being dense, but are you "yuck"ing the transfer, or the movie?

Posted by: Bleddyn Williams, February 9, 2008 4:30 PM

Did you really prefer eXistenZ to Dead Ringers? I'm not sniping or anything, just curious. I don't think Cronenberg's ever come close again to the power of Dead Ringers, particularly when he's adapting Ballard or Burroughs, which are strange mish-mashes of films, not really Cronenbergian or Ballardian/Burroughsian.

Posted by: anephric, February 9, 2008 4:35 PM

When asked what my favourite "romantic" films are, I usually include Cronenberg's THE FLY in that list.

- Don't you get it? I am finally onto something that's big. Huge.
- Oh yeah? What? His Cock?

Classic.

Posted by: Chris B, February 9, 2008 4:37 PM

Uh - maybe I’m being dense, but are you “yuck”ing the transfer, or the movie?

The movie, or rather the horrible fleshiness of it. The transfer itself is nothing special, but it’s a lot better than one of Universal’s “we fished this one out the toilet” catalogue releases.

Posted by: Whiggles, February 9, 2008 5:58 PM

I have always been a fan of this, and own the 'definitive edition' in a nice metal case. Would be interesting to see some screen captures of the HD version, as the standard def DVD is very crisp!

I'll agree its better than Shivers, The Brood etc, not as good as Dead Ringers...and haven't seen Eastern Promises yet - but I will soon, I'm sure!

Posted by: CraigTheRave, February 9, 2008 7:23 PM

Did you really prefer eXistenZ to Dead Ringers? I’m not sniping or anything, just curious. I don’t think Cronenberg’s ever come close again to the power of Dead Ringers, particularly when he’s adapting Ballard or Burroughs, which are strange mish-mashes of films, not really Cronenbergian or Ballardian/Burroughsian.

It’s been a while since I’ve seen either eXistenZ or Dead Ringers, but I do recall enjoying the former more than the latter. I tend to have a funny relationship with Cronenberg’s films, in that, in many respects, they tend to leave me cold, and I tend to respond more to their outrageous imagery (e.g. one typewriter bug assaulting another in Naked Lunch) than their themes, which are often too science-oriented for my feeble arty brain. eXistenZ, while not particularly substantial, and in many respects a retread of Videodrome, certainly gave me a lot of amusement. I should go back and reassess both films, though.

Posted by: Whiggles, February 9, 2008 8:14 PM

Not much of a fan of THE FLY.
I didnt liked it much when it came out and saw it last year and found that it aged very badly.

Posted by: , February 10, 2008 6:59 PM