Eye slicing never looked more lovely

DVD

I was browsing through some of the reviews at HorrorDVDs.com the other night, and I suddenly noticed something: Another World Entertainment’s release of Lucio Fulci’s The New York Ripper has a really nice transfer. Personally, I always appreciate it when a review includes full size screen captures, because it means that, whatever the words might say, I can trust my own eyes and have a fairly good idea of what the transfer will actually look at without having to put a whole lot of faith in reviewers whose credentials are unknown to me.

Today, while doing a bit of shopping at Xploited Cinema, in the form of the Italian genre cinema book Esotika Erotika Psicotika, primarily for my PhD work, I decided to bite the bullet and order this, my third copy of Fulci’s notorious Video Nasty. It’s not my favourite of Fulci’s films by a long shot (I still maintain that A Lizard in a Woman’s Skin is his best work), but it’s unjustly maligned and is, if not in the “very good” category of gialli, at least in the upper echelons of “good”.

Thank you for the screenshots, HorrorDVDs. You’ve just earned Another World Entertainment another sale!

Posted: Friday, March 07, 2008 at 2:56 PM | Comments: 8
Categories: Books | Cinema | DVD | Gialli | PhD | Web

Comments

Ah, the New York Ripper. I remember renting this one on Laserdisc way back from the semi-legendary LD mecca "Sight & Sound" in Waltham, MA. Funnily enough, I got a call from them about a week later wanting me to return the DVD I'd borrowed of New York Ripper. It took some work to get it through to them that I didn't even have a DVD player at the time!

Posted by: Bleddyn Williams, March 7, 2008 8:02 PM

Hi Michael,

I am very much interested in the New York Ripper DVD also, and whilst taking a look at Xploited Cinema, noticed they had a 3 disc limited edition of Deep Red available also, from some label known as dragon. Are you familiar with this release? And also how reliable are Xploited Cinema when it comes to UK orders? Do they take long?

Regards,
CraigTheRave

Posted by: CraigTheRave, March 7, 2008 8:19 PM

Xploited are great, very reliable - the only downside (for us in the UK) is that HMRC is very aware of the type of product they sell, and frequently open their packages for inspection, so if you're ordering anything "controversial", it runs the risk of confiscation. Obviously, Argento and such is fine. Murder Set Pieces will not be.

As for that Dragon/Raptor release, and I bow to Mr. Mackenzie's superior wisdom, it's a nice release, but the extras can be mostly found elsewhere (and I seem to recall they're dubbed in German (?)) and it's quite pricy for what it is, unless you're a collector (see also: the Japanese Argento boxset).

Posted by: anephric, March 7, 2008 10:58 PM

Another World is the one to own folks. This is classic Fulci.

Posted by: avanze, March 8, 2008 2:43 AM

Yeah a great DVD edition!

Posted by: ARCVILE, March 8, 2008 7:04 PM

Craig:

I haven’t seen the Dragon release of Deep Red, so I wouldn’t be able to comment on it.

Anephric:

I could sing Xploited’s praises day and night. My only problem with them are their very high shipping costs for UK deliveries. I think Tony provides an absolutely excellent service, but I suspect that it’s of more use for those living in the US than elsewhere. I tend to order from them primarily when they’re stocking something that I can’t find elsewhere - in this case the Esotika Erotika Psicotika. I added The New York Ripper to the order partly because I’d been thinking about picking it up anyway, but also to attempt to get a bit more value for money out of the shipping charge. If I hadn’t been after the book, I’d almost certainly have ordered the DVD from somewhere that worked out cheaper for me.

Posted by: Whiggles, March 8, 2008 11:38 PM

I probably think quite well of them because I ordered something fairly expensive and limited from them once, and for whatever reason they sent me two of them by mistake.

Being a cad, I didn't tell them. But yeah, they are a bit pricy, but as you say they do have stuff that's quite awkward to get hold of.

Posted by: anephric, March 9, 2008 2:37 AM

Thanks for the link to the screen comparisons.
I actually sold my Anchor Bay copy of 'NYR' a while ago and I was preparing to buy the Blue Underground release coming out in a few months but instead I just ordered the AWE release from Xploited.
I'm curious how the AWE release of 'The Beyond' compares to the OOP Anchor Bay release. I sold that one long ago as well because I heard Grindhouse Releasing has had a Special Edition in the works for a long time.

Posted by: Daniel Sardella, March 9, 2008 8:46 PM