Swoon

Blue Underground Blu-ray releases

Three months after announcing their intentions to break into the Blu-ray market, Blue Underground have provided a tantalising glimpse at some of the titles we can expect to see from them. While no release dates have been announced, these titles alone should be enough to whet the appetite of any serious cult cinema fans:

- The Final Countdown
- The Bird with the Crystal Plumage
- The Stendhal Syndrome
- Maniac
- Vigilante
- Fire and Ice

The brief preview trailer, available on their site, also shows material from Two Evil Eyes, Dead and Buried and Uncle Sam. We’re being promised 50 GB dual layer discs, 7.1 Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio tracks, plenty of extras and (contain yourselves) D-Box Motion Code support.

Posted: Friday, May 30, 2008 at 3:58 PM | Comments: 6
Categories: Animation | Blu-ray | Cinema | Dario Argento | Gialli | Technology

Comments

I'll be in for some of these, especially the Argento titles, if I finally get Blu-ray this year.

Incidentally, did you bother with the new Anchor Bay discs of Tenebre and Phenomena? It looks like they're just anamorphic versions of the old editions, no attempt to get the uncut version of Tenebre or the longer version of Phenomena.

Posted by: Philly Q, May 30, 2008 5:57 PM

If you want to get a good version of Tenebre, buy the NL DVD. Search for "Shadows" on ebay and you'll find them quite cheap.
They're anamorphic and completely uncut.

Posted by: Peter von Frosta, May 30, 2008 6:00 PM

Thanks, I've got the NL DVD (and the French, Italian, UK and US ones... can't have too many really, but the Japanese one is too expensive!)

I was just hoping those lazy so-and-sos at AB would have taken the trouble to get an uncut print this time.

Posted by: Philly Q, May 30, 2008 6:49 PM

I would rather they just gave us DTS HD-Master audio ( Those that can't take advantage of this codec still get 1.5mbp/s dts sound )

Why waste space with Dolby True HD ( If you can't listen to this codec then you will get a 640kb/s Dolby track )

I hope they release Zombie Flesh Eaters aka Zombie 2.

Posted by: FoxyMulder, May 31, 2008 4:54 PM

FoxyMulder said:
"I hope they release Zombie Flesh Eaters aka Zombie 2."

Sure they will.They do have the official rights for it.

For the time being BR is not for me.I enjoy my SD discs and that's enough for now.

CP

Posted by: Crystal Plumage, May 31, 2008 5:31 PM

Primarily I’m crossing my fingers for the original mono (or stereo, or whatever is the original format) audio mixes. My big fear is that some technician or other will adopt a “bigger is better” attitude and include only these 7.1 remixes.

Posted by: Whiggles, June 1, 2008 2:50 PM