Any excuse to press PrintScreen

Devil May Cry 4

Attention, readers: here’s your eye candy for the evening. These screen captures come from the DirectX 10 version of the Devil May Cry 4 demo for the PC, the full retail version of which is due out on July 11th.

I’m considering picking up a copy, although I suspect I’ll need to get my hands on a compatible gamepad beforehand, as the keyboard controls in the PC version are counter-intuitive to say the least. Case in point: you can control both the character’s movement and the camera position. In most PC games played from a third person perspective, you’ll use the W-A-S-D keys to move the character and the mouse to move the camera. Not so in Devil May Cry 4, which has no mouse support. Instead, you use the cursor keys to move the camera, which, when you’re trying to move the character (using the W-A-S-D keys) and perform attacks (using the I-J-K-L keys) at the same time, is about as absurd and infuriating as things can get.

Devil May Cry 4 Devil May Cry 4 Devil May Cry 4 Devil May Cry 4 Devil May Cry 4 Devil May Cry 4

Posted: Sunday, June 15, 2008 at 11:12 PM | Comments: 5
Categories: Games | Technology

Comments

Just pickup a Xbox 360 joypad and use it with the game, although then you could just buy the game on the Xbox 360 and be done with it. Otherwise, you can also buy a used Xbox (original) pad (a couple of quid from Gamestation) and cut+solder the wire to make the controller USB: https://www.xbox-emulation.co.uk/Xbox-Controller-Mod.shtml

Posted by: Garbled, June 16, 2008 2:08 AM

Yeah, I wouldn't even attempt playing a game as dependent on fast comboing as DMC4 on kb. Such is the stuff of nightmares. I imagine Capcom assumed everyone would be playing on gamepad and didn't bother expending much thought on anything else.

Posted by: anephric, June 17, 2008 4:17 PM

Yeah, I expect so. It’s just slightly strange that a traditional keyboard/mouse combo isn’t supported, given that it is otherwise an extremely slick port, offering both sumptuous eye candy and an extremely smooth frame rate. I’m still of the opinion that a mouse and keyboard is the best way to play most action games, whether first or third person, and could imagine such a setup working quite well for this one - certainly more so than attempting to control the whole thing with a keyboard. I find this oversight particularly odd considering that I suspect that most people attempting to play this game on the PC will be those like myself who aren’t particularly fond of console-style gamepad setups.

Incidentally, I managed to get Windows to recognise my Playstation 3 gamepad last night, finally finding a use for the thing. I didn’t get any joy out of it in Devil May Cry 4, though, as for some reason the game didn’t recognise the square, triangle, circle and cross buttons at all.

Posted by: Whiggles, June 17, 2008 4:22 PM

The thing with DMC, as opposed to most other 3rd-person Gears of War shooty-type things on PC is that you really are hammering away in an arcade stylee with your attacks, (optimally) using complicated combos and switching styles in a nanosecond, which is going to be pretty tough, if not masochistic, on a kb. It's really, definitively designed for gamepad play.

Step away from the keyboard. Embrace the thumbstick :)

Posted by: anephric, June 18, 2008 1:20 PM

Well, I’ll try. I’ve ordered an Xbox 360 controller for my birthday next month. :)

Posted by: Whiggles, June 18, 2008 3:24 PM