Transmission interrupted

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 8

In the unlikely event that you’ve been waiting on tenterhooks for my review of Issue 15 of the dreadful Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 8 comic (you know who are, you weird, weird freaks), then I hate to break it to you: it’s not happening. Today, it suddenly occurred to me that the festering thing hadn’t arrived, despite it having been released over a month ago. A quick peek at my TFAW account explained this anomaly: my subscription actually expired with Issue 14.

This means that I won’t be able to tell you which forms of sealife are jumped in the four and final instalment of Drew Goddard’s woeful little tale of Japanese vampires, dead Slayers and laughably predictable plot “twists”, and, to be honest with you, I don’t care. Back when I thought I would also be receiving Issue 15, I contented myself with the knowledge that, although I was abandoning the series, I would at least be jumping off the boat at a semi-logical point. Discovering, today, that I would essentially be left hanging, I realised just how much it doesn’t bother me. And why should it? The comics themselves are risible, and I don’t consider them to be in any way canonical, regardless of what their creator might say. So, while it’s slightly frustrating to be ending on a comma rather than a full stop, as it were, at least this means I can devote less time to writing about crap and more time to stuff I actually like.

Posted: Friday, July 11, 2008 at 5:43 PM | Comments: 6
Categories: Books | Buffy the Vampire Slayer | Reviews | Web

Comments

Amen brother

Posted by: Peter von Frosta, July 11, 2008 6:40 PM

I have to ask out of curiosity, do you read any other comics at the moment? More importantly, did you read any of the older Buffy comics way back when? I'm not saying the "canon season 8" ones are any good, just curious if these were your first foray into Buffy/Angel comics.

Posted by: Luke, July 12, 2008 3:43 PM

I didn’t read any of them regularly, but I did come across a few that were freely available on the BBC’s web site after being directed there by a very cruel person. To give Season 8 its due, it’s somewhat better than what I read there, in much the same way that HIV is better than full-blown AIDS.

Posted by: Whiggles, July 12, 2008 7:39 PM

Any plans to check this out (...awaits obvious joke about title).

Posted by: Anon, July 12, 2008 10:16 PM

Hmm, can’t say that’s something I’d heard of until now. It took me a while to even work out what it was supposed to be about, given Joss Whedon’s invariable habit of not giving a straightforward answer to anything. Could be interesting, though.

Posted by: Whiggles, July 14, 2008 10:39 AM

"Shledzguohn?"

Does look interesting, indeed.

Posted by: Anon, July 15, 2008 4:48 AM