A classic that never was

Blu-ray

So my copy of the upcoming Blu-ray release of The Silence of the Lambs was dispatched from MovieTyme today. At the moment, my brother is in the final stages of his work on the upcoming Mondo Vision DVD of Andrzej Zulawksi’s L’important c’est d’aimer, so I’m currently used to seeing (and hearing) Klaus Kinski ranting (in either French, German or English) on a more or less daily basis. During one of his fine tirades, we ended up speculating as to what The Silence of the Lambs would have been like had Kinski played the role of Hannibal Lecter. “Very different” is, I suspect, the answer. From there, I naturally began to wonder what the film would have been like had it been directed by one of Kinski’s most frequent collaborators, and populated by his regular cast. Here’s what I came up with:

The Silence of the Lambs
A film by Jess Franco
Written and produced by Harry Alan Towers

Soledad Miranda as Clarice Starling
Klaus Kinski as Dr. Hannibal Lecter
Herbert Lom as Jack Crawford
Christopher Lee as Dr. Frederick Chilton
Paul Muller as Jame Gumb
Lina Romay as Ardelia Mapp
Romina Power as Catherine Martin
Maria Rohm as Senator Ruth Martin

I’m still struggling to cast the all-important role of Barney. Can any Franco experts out there suggest a suitable actor?

Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2009 at 8:00 PM | Comments: 8
Categories: Blu-ray | Cinema | DVD | General | Mondo Vision

Comments

Snap as they sent me an email saying my copy was shipping today too.

Lets see who gets it first especially sine you are just "up the roas from me" so to speak. :o)

Posted by: FoxyMulder, February 17, 2009 8:12 PM

Oh and my c and d went on holiday - It's this optical keyboard and if you type too fast it misses letters ( ok the s was because i missed the d )

Posted by: FoxyMulder, February 17, 2009 8:14 PM

I was planning on ordering this title from Amazon, here in the States, as it's supposed to be released on March 9, but they don't even have a release date yet on that site...

Posted by: Daniel Sardella, February 18, 2009 5:20 PM

Why that role would be taken by Franco himself, of course!

Posted by: colinr, February 18, 2009 5:37 PM

Foxy:

Out of curiosity, whereabouts in Scotland do you stay?

Daniel:

Well, the disc definitely exists, since copies have shipped, so, unless they’re planning on another Robocop fiasco, I’d say it’s safe to assume that it will come out on March 9th as planned.

Colin:

Why didn’t I think of that?!

Posted by: Michael Mackenzie, February 18, 2009 6:04 PM

Scottish Borders.

This release is getting me excited as it's a favorite of mine and i just keep crossing my fingers that they put their DNR tools away for this one.

Incidentally i just watched Hollow Man - Thought it was a very good transfer and a fabulous Jerry Goldsmith music score. Film was better than i remember too as i originally didn't like it that much on my first viewing but this time i did like it ( go figure it must be something to do with being in the right mood for certain films )

Posted by: FoxyMulder, February 18, 2009 9:29 PM

Michael-

Figured it out.
It's available on Amazon.ca and it is being release on March 3rd - I guess it's a Canadian release?
I'm tempted to order it because the MovieTyme site says it's region-free (I'm assuming it's the same version) and it would cost me about the same as it would from the US Amazon site (about $21), but I may just wait for them to release a domestic version.

Posted by: Daniel Sardella, February 20, 2009 6:24 PM

Hmm… as far as I know, it’s a US release… in which case, it’s almost certain to be Region A coded, as that has tended to be Fox and MGM’s policy, even for catalogue titles.

Posted by: Michael Mackenzie, February 20, 2009 6:33 PM