Just arrived…

Blu-ray

Body of Lies (Blu-ray, Warner, Region ABC, USA)

Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2009 at 1:30 PM | Comments: 8
Categories: Blu-ray | Cinema

Comments

Josh Z reported terrible macroblocking on his review copy all over Chapter 31 and i wonder if you can check that out.

Could be a few bad copies floating around ( speculation only ) but i think Josh is one of the more observant reviewers on the net along with yourself.

Posted by: FoxyMulder, February 26, 2009 5:14 PM

FoxyMulder: with optical disc replication there's really very little chance for a "bad copy" like this (although with the likes of "The Descent" we can see differences in quality thanks to the fact that different versions with encoded, authored and finally glass mastered and released). A badly pressed optical disc will simply not play, or will play back with obvious stuttering, freezing, etc.

Posted by: David Mackenzie, February 26, 2009 5:18 PM

Do you buy DVDs at all these days?

Posted by: Baron Scarpia, February 26, 2009 6:36 PM

“Do you buy DVDs at all these days?”

To be honest, not really. For recent films, particularly blockbusters, there isn’t really any point as chances are they’ll be released on BD anyway, if not immediately then before too long. Broadly speaking, if it isn’t out already on BD I can afford to wait for it. Of course, there are exceptions, the upcoming DVD release of Four Flies on Grey Velvet being an obvious example… although in that case, I should be getting a review copy, so all it will cost me is the time it takes to do a write-up.

The last DVD I actually bought was the fourth Trial & Retribution volume, in December.

Posted by: Michael Mackenzie, February 26, 2009 9:21 PM

Despite a few great action scenes and a superb performance from Mark Strong, this film was a huge letdown.

Posted by: Sound Designer Dan, February 26, 2009 9:26 PM

Foxy:

Okay, I’ve just watched the film via my brother’s projector. I saw nothing untoward in Chapter 31, so afterwards I went back and watched the scene again, this time on my PC monitor. This time, I saw what appeared to be a fairly mild blocking effect on the ceiling of the hospital room in a couple of the close-ups of Mark Strong. It’s pretty minor, but it’s there. I certainly wouldn’t use the word “terrible” to describe it.

Posted by: Michael Mackenzie, February 26, 2009 9:30 PM

Thats interesting because others have said they saw nothing on their projectors but one person said they saw minor issues on their computer monitor.

Posted by: FoxyMulder, February 26, 2009 10:23 PM

Oh and David i wasn't talking bad copies as in replication issues i was speculating that two transfers might be doing the rounds which i know is very rare but it has happened and could happen again.

Posted by: FoxyMulder, February 26, 2009 10:23 PM