Just arrived…

Blu-ray

Quantum of Solace (Blu-ray, 20th Century Fox/MGM, Region A, USA)

Posted: Friday, March 13, 2009 at 12:30 PM | Comments: 9
Categories: Blu-ray | Cinema

Comments

I usually buy movies like this upon release but Movietyme where i usually buy is charging �21.99 for a new release. Before Gordon destroyed our economy the pound was doing great against the dollar and i would pay around �16.99. I'll wait until the price drops although i did purchase an earlier Bond movie ( Goldfinger at �17.99 )

Posted by: FoxyMulder, March 13, 2009 2:07 PM

It's not letting me use pound signs lol

You must have it set up to disallow that i guess.

Posted by: FoxyMulder, March 13, 2009 2:07 PM

No disallowment on my end. Try using “& pound ;” without the spaces, like this:

£

Posted by: Michael Mackenzie, March 13, 2009 2:09 PM

I'd waiting to hear if any scenes have been cut (like casino) before picking this one up.

Scandinavia seems to get it on Mar 25th but I'm not sure if these dates are still accurate or not. Having seen it in the cinema I can't immediately think of any scenes that would actually need to be cut, but you never know with those censorship people!

Posted by: Dom, March 13, 2009 4:09 PM

Have you seen this before? I found this an utter disappointment after the largely excellent Casino Royale.

Posted by: Garbled, March 13, 2009 4:18 PM

Haven’t seen it before, no. I’ll probably be watching it tonight.

As for cuts, I do know that, following consultation with the UK censors, the filmmakers actually toned down the intensity of one (unnamed) scene. As per the BBFC:

This film was originally seen by the BBFC in an unfinished version, for advice as to the film’s suitability at ‘12A’. The BBFC advised the company that the film would most likely receive a ‘12A’ as it was, but that care should be taken when finishing the film not to increase the intensity of certain scenes. When the completed version of the film was submitted for classification, reductions to one of those scenes had been made and the film was passed ‘12A’ without cuts.

I’m afraid I’ve no idea whether this affects only the UK version or every release.

Posted by: Michael Mackenzie, March 13, 2009 4:25 PM

I don't know why a selection of people hated it so much.

I still found it a great movie, that was hard for them to get right considering the 'short story' nature of the material they were working with. I think they did a very good job.

I'll avoid giving away spoilers but one particular scene towards the end of the film really stood out for me as one of the most poignant scenes I've seen in any of the Bond movies and others of the same genre.

Posted by: Dom, March 13, 2009 4:31 PM

Quantum of Solace > Casino Royale

But I am sure you'll disagree though. :p

Posted by: Marcus, March 13, 2009 7:41 PM

“Quantum of Solace > Casino Royale

But I am sure you’ll disagree though. :p”

Yep, ‘fraid so. :) Just watched it, and while it had its moments, I found it to be, for the most part, muddled and not particularly interesting. I’ll write something more detailed before too long.

Posted by: Michael Mackenzie, March 13, 2009 8:58 PM