Coming soon to a DVD player near you

Mondo Vision

Yeah, I know, it’s been a while coming, but a release date has finally been announced for Mondo Vision’s second DVD title, Andrzej Zulawksi’s L’important c’est d’aimer. Both the Special Edition Digipak and Premium Signature Edition box set (limited to 2,000 copies) are due out on June 16th and are available now to pre-order from Amazon.

Also in the pipeline are L’amour braque and, as per pro-bassoonist at the DVD Talk forum, even more Zulawski treats:

• Trzecia Czesc Nocy (The Third Part Of The Night), 1971
  • Diabel (The Devil), 1972
  • Na Srebrnym Globie (The Silver Globe), 1977/1987
  • Possession, 1981
  • La Note Bleue (The Blue Note), 1992
  • Szamanka (Shaman Woman), 1996

No release dates have been confirmed for any of these yet, but I’d imagine many people will be very pleased to hear that Possession is finally being re-released, Anchor Bay’s considerably less than stellar-looking edition having been out of print for some time.

Posted: Thursday, April 23, 2009 at 8:01 PM | Comments: 11
Categories: Cinema | DVD | Mondo Vision | Web

Comments

"Possession" has also been anounced by Bildstoerung for Autumn 2009... a relatively new small German label, who have just released great new editions of "¿Quién puede matar a un niño?"(aka "Who Can Kill a Child?") and "Tras el cristal" (aka "In a Glass Cage"). They put a lot of love and care into their releases... regarding the packaging, booklets, DVD extras and image quality. I think their releases of those two films feature the best image quality available on DVD worldwide... albeit with German subtitles only. But isn't English the original language of "Possession"?

This is their website: https://www.bildstoerung.tv/blog/

Posted by: BobaFett, April 23, 2009 9:28 PM

Yeah, Possession was Zulawski’s first (only?) English-language film.

Posted by: Michael Mackenzie, April 23, 2009 10:01 PM

What extras are included in the Premium Signature Edition of "L'important c'est d'aimer"?

Posted by: Rakesh, April 23, 2009 10:42 PM

great news about POSSESSION. had hoped Mondo Vision would release this film, easily my favourite Zulawski.
La Femme Publique looked and sounded amazing, and no doubt Possession will too.

Posted by: Adam Grikepelis, April 24, 2009 11:47 AM

and I'm going blind, just noticed THIRD PART OF THE NIGHT's listed too.
wonderful news!

Posted by: Adam Grikepelis, April 24, 2009 11:48 AM

>> La Femme Publique looked and sounded amazing, and no doubt Possession will too.

Thank you!
I haven't seen the master for Possession, but I promise it will not look like the last American version.

Posted by: David Mackenzie, April 24, 2009 2:48 PM

Holy jumping Jesus, ON THE SILVER GLOBE and DIABEL?? Both of those are available now but the transfers are hardly stellar. Both of those are also masterpieces (of the purely psychopathic Zulawski kind).

Posted by: Chris B, April 24, 2009 2:52 PM

Apparently the ones available in the US right now are cropped video standards conversions, and I think they're bootlegs. They were probably from the grimey old mechanical telecine transfers that I had the pleasure of rejecting a few months ago.

Posted by: David Mackenzie, April 24, 2009 2:54 PM

ON THE SILVER GLOBE is cropped to 4:3 (Polart distribution) and apparently the colour pallet is incorrect as it hosts a blue tint (see my friend's blog post and comments: https://dcairns.wordpress.com/2009/01/20/a-z-of-space/.

To be honest, considering the film's history, the version that I have I thought to be all there is and would be; but now you say you're doing it, so justice will prevail. Shame there will be no BD50 version.

Posted by: Chris B, April 24, 2009 3:04 PM

I met Zulawski at a screening in London last month and he explained to me that the whites in the film are supposed to be white (he pointed to a white wall and said, "Like that - like porcelain").

Zulawski also explained that when the film was confiscated by the censor idiots it was left beside a radiator for about 15 years (they thought it had been destroyed). So the negative has a pink tint to it. I suppose Polart attempted to compensate for that but couldn't get it right. The pictures look totally wrong.

Regarding BD: I badly want to encode and author on Blu-ray. But BD has mandatory AACS copy protection, which has a one-off studio registration fee, a per-title fee, and other royalties. Both of those fees are in the 4-figure range so small labels are not throwing themselves head-first at the format, especially on titles which are financial risks anyway.

Posted by: David Mackenzie, April 24, 2009 3:20 PM

First of all, kudos to the stellar release of LA FEMME PUBLIQUE. Fantastic transfer, enlightening features, and a package to die for. I don't know how much money Mondo Vision is making off of Andrej Zulawski titles, but I swear every one of you guys over there deserves a medal with your paychecks. (Why do we pay $40 for Criterion DVDs, again?)

I've seen both Szamanka and Na Srebrnym Globie, and I can't wait for a legitimate English friendly release of both. The Polart DVD of the latter is really just awful, with all 137 minutes of blue ghosting standards conversion crammed on a single layer disc. The film itself was quite an experience, but a proper transfer and translation will only make it better, I'm sure.

I've never seen any other Zulawski films, but I've heard of POSSESSION for years now. I'm looking forward to that, and anything else Mondo Vision has to offer.

Posted by: Kentai, April 24, 2009 7:52 PM