Mean Girls BD impressions

Blu-ray

I was pleasantly surprised by the image quality of this release. I wasn’t expecting it to look like a million bucks, and it’s true, it’s not exactly eye-popping, but it’s pleasant to look at, with a decent level of detail and film grain that looks pretty natural. The movie was colour timed photochemically rather than with a DI, and optical shots do suffer somewhat from increased softness (see, for example, Example 8), but overall I’m very pleased with how this disc looks.

In addition, comparing it with the 2004 UK DVD, the colour palette here looks a good deal more natural here. I don’t want to claim to know for definite how it was supposed to look, but the DVD looks incredibly orange in retrospect and not particularly pleasant. By the way, purists should note that the film features a handful of subtitles for non-English dialogue, and rather than retaining the original burned-in typeface, they are reproduced here as generic player-generated subtitles. This was also true of the DVD, and I have to say that they look considerably less ugly here than they did on that earlier release. 8/10

Mean Girls
studio: Paramount; country: USA; region code: ABC; codec: AVC;
file size: 28.8 GB; average bit rate (including audio): 42.65 Mbit/sec

Mean Girls Mean Girls Mean Girls Mean Girls Mean Girls Mean Girls Mean Girls Mean Girls Mean Girls Mean Girls Mean Girls Mean Girls Mean Girls Mean Girls Mean Girls

Posted: Monday, April 20, 2009 at 11:30 PM | Comments: 5
Categories: BD Impressions | Blu-ray | Cinema | Technology

Comments

Decent movie, but Heathers is way better.

Posted by: Daniel Sardella, April 21, 2009 2:26 AM

Not so much a comment about the movie but hasn't Lindsay Lohan ruined her career and shown such little taste in sleeping with Calum Best.

I thought she was a decent promising actress but she has just hit the self destruct button although not in the same way as someone like Amy Winehouse.

Lastly your brother says he bought some black fabric for the home cinema. I'm searching for some for my ceiling so i wonder if you can ask him the exact name of the fabric....Thanks....M

Posted by: FoxyMulder, April 22, 2009 1:18 PM

It's this stuff:

A friend of mine pointed me here, we both requested free samples from them. The stuff I linked to is the best at absorbing light.

Incidentally, what projector and screen are you using?

Posted by: David Mackenzie, April 22, 2009 6:00 PM

I'm using a Panasonic AE-3000 and a Beamax 106inch 1.1 gain screen which i basically took out of it's casing and have pinned to the wall but i have black fabric all around it so it's cinematic. I just need the ceiling done because there is no light that gets into the room and it's pitch dark when the door is closed except the ceiling is white.

Posted by: FoxyMulder, April 22, 2009 9:29 PM

Oh and the black fabric around the screen is certainly not as good as the one you have pointed me towards. ( just checked )

Posted by: FoxyMulder, April 22, 2009 9:31 PM